Flies & Fly Tying Lifejacket Nymph

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

blkmtn
    Participant

HI all – hoping someone here can help me out (actually confident someone will know!)

I’ve been wanting to tie Frank Hickling’s ‘lifejacket nymph’ pattern which is listed in the first Australia’s Best Trout Flies book – in the materials it says to use ‘a loop of closed-cell foam’. Can anyone recommend or tell me an example of a closed cell foam?

I’ve only seen the pattern once and don’t think something like styrofoam would work. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers – Luke.

Alanta
    Participant

A sponge is “open cell” foam in that if you squeeze it and hold it in water it will soak up that water. Closed cell foam will not, which is why it will always pop to the surface. Rainy’s is a brand of fly tying foam sold in sheets, and some of those thin sheets of packaging foam are also closed cell.

blkmtn
    Participant

Thanks – much appreciated.

Rabbit
    Participant

Thongs are closed cell foam

blkmtn
    Participant

Cheers – I gave it a go but struggled with tying it in. I think I have to work on the right shape.

Peter Elks
    Participant

Hi Luke, Any of the forum sponsors listed under “resources ” can help you with your  foam sheets  plus thickness and preferred colour.

Be aware that the more you stretch it the less it floats , it will be a trial an error procedure for you to attain the length and thickness  required to float a particular hook size, so tie a rough one then check it in a glass of water .

You can also either tie in the wing case with the foam or you can use the foam to tie in as a post , the latter of which you can use as a  floating aid and a sight aid :):): ( If you can see it you can confidently fish it)

Floating nymphs to my mind often very much appeal to an educated fish as they sit in the water , not above it , and this then creates an imprint in the meniscus which is very natural.

I do prefer the foam sheets over thong mediums as the foam sheets have better buoyancy and are easier to tie  in.

Cheers

blkmtn
    Participant

Thanks Peter – that’s really helpful. Will give it a go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.