Travel Talk Kiewa West Branch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Planty
    Participant

I’m looking for a little information regarding the Kiewa West Branch. I’ve fished the lower section quite a bit but would love to explore the upper reaches. Can anyone enlighten me on which track is the easier of the two. Dungey Track on the Western side or West Kiewa Logging Road on the Eastern side. I’ve got a 4×4 so not too worried but would appreciate some first hand knowledge.

Planty

Mitta
    Participant
    At the time, I wasn’t in charge of the maps, but . . .  Was up that way last Autumn and to my reckoning, either is an option.  Always, it is going to be subject to trees down, rain (mud) and other obstacles which can all impact – it is a case of suck it and see, I think. A long drive in.
    What I did notice though, was a couple of fine fisher chaps, trying exceedingly hard and wrangling not an awful lot of very, very small (read tiny) fish. In other circumstances, they may have brought better results.  Emoji  Poor outcomes were probably due to low water levels and warm conditions at the time.
    You may do better . . .
     A not so helpful (I’m sure) Mitta

Planty
    Participant

Hahahaha. Thanks Mitta. Thankfully not in it for the size. It’s one of the most aesthetically pleasing pieces of water I’ve fished so the urge to explore it more is building. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Planty

micmac3701
    Participant

Either is okay but would strongly recommend packing a chainsaw & fuel. Blocked track on the way in is disappointing, on the way out (with no phone coverage)…..  Water will be low.

Planty
    Participant

Thanks micmac. Sound advice. I took the girlfriend up to the lower section today for a swim. packed the rod and had a flick for 10 minutes. Manged a nice healthy rainbow and sighted a few more. Water was down but still a nice flow to it.

Planty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.