Conserve & Manage How to find Public Access in NSW – SixMaps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Al McB2
    Participant

Hi All I get asked this question a lot – “How do i find out if land is public”

I used cadastral databases that are linked to the LPI/Lands that allows me to see ownership details for a particular parcel of land. Not everyone has this and I doubt may would even have the software to drive it which is why we are cataloging these “safe” access points for distribution (yes a website is coming as soon but I deal with fist fights on rivers first) .

There is a way you can see if land could be public land. Here is a few quick examples

Go to sic maps https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

Each parcel of land has an identifying Lot and Dp number – the exception is some crown land or public roads .

eg 1. PUBLIC ROAD – Little Thredbo
    1. In six maps in the search bar (top right) type in 1//1228865
    2. Hit Enter
    3. On the “Map contents” Button – (top left) select Lot Labels and Lot Boundaries
    4. On the map you will see that the Lot is yellow but there are some long rectangular lines. There are 3 of these but only
    one has NO lot & Dp – The road without a Lot and Dp is most likely a public road. This could be a Council or Crown
    road but it offers legal access to the Little Thredbo River
    5. Confirm its status with lands online http://www.crownland.nsw.gov.au/about_crown_land/crown_land_enquiry

Eg 2. Reserve – Duckmaloi R

Crown Reserves often have a Lot and Dp however these are different lot numbers and have a 7000 designation ie 7001, 7002 etc . You need to look for these visually in Six maps.

1. Here is one I found – In six maps in the search bar (top right) type in 7007//1032515
    2. Hit Enter
    3. In case you havent already checked it – On the “Map contents” Button – (top left) select Lot Labels and Lot
    Boundaries

4. On the map you will see that the Lot is yellow and you can also view with a image by selecting from the basemaps
    button. This could be a public reserve (it is because I did a status check) . Anglers have a legal right to use this reserve.
    Note the public road that leads to the reserve – Shows the importance of public roads.
    5. Confirm its status with lands online http://www.crownland.nsw.gov.au/about_crown_land/crown_land_enquiry

To the north of the reserve there is another reserve (lots 318 &317 Dp757067 ) these reserves are the hard ones to find and you wont be able to tell ownership with six maps . Note the crown road that leads to this reserve.

Have fun and don’t forget to check the status of the land including any occupancy rights before using – Just submit to lands and they will tell you if you can use the land.

Disclamer – It is up to the user to verify access constraints with land managers and check regulations prior to accessing each site. The onus is on the user to verify other limitations including; waterway levels, track conditions, weather, busfire notifications, any regulations that may apply to waterways or locations and climatic conditions before entering fishing sites. ie use at your own risk.

AL

matuka
    Participant

Thank you for posting this Alistair and for all the great work you are doing in regard to angler access. Very much appreciated.

thommo227
    Participant

Hi Al

What I often notice on Sixmaps is that the road boundary (Crown Land?) will extend up and down the river bank where the road crosses the river (sometimes crossing from one side of river to the other) . These corridors have no DP or Lot number. Does that mean they are Crown land and therefore if you can access from the public road, you are free to walk along the river bank without asking anyone?

Here is an example:

cheers, Thommo

bernie01
    Participant

1//799309 does not work for me; is there a typo there somewhere?

Al McB2
    Participant

Hi Bernie – not sure what happened but try 1//1228865 – I must of grabbed the wrong Dp – Sorry about that ..

Al

Al McB2
    Participant

Hi Thommo

Its my experience that the lined with no lot or DP are public lands. There are no lot or DP on public lands such as road parcels and crown waterways . Always check with lands . We surveyed one of these “crown waterways ” and found that the waterway as defined on the map did in fact go between 7 – 15 m up onto dry land. Lands has advised me that it was their experience when surveyed that these waterway determinations can vary significantly in favour of the angler . Thing is if surveyed there is so much more to gain in important waterways. In your example you are looking in the wrong spot – I suggest that you head to that small parcel to the Nth West of 15//753844 – I think you will have more fun there 🙂 – we have done a preliminary assessment of the river and found that if you go downstream you will see a lot of access via crown roads . Be warned we have had a few issues in this area in the past .. have fun also dont forget access from the nth

AL

thommo227
    Participant

Thanks Al

When I get back from NZ this week, I’ll give it a whirl and let you know how I go 😉

bernie01
    Participant

Hi Al, sent you a PM.

Al McB2
    Participant

Hi Bernie got it – out ATM and will get to next week .

Sam8000000
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.