Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

flittyfisher
    Participant

Hi tyers,

Not sure if this has been discussed previously on this thread but i couldn’t do a search on it. Apologies if its a repeat.

I’m looking at using the Firehole hooks for my tying and was just wondering if anyone uses or has used them and their thoughts on the quality. I’ve been using Tiemco hooks for most of my flies and they are great but would like to try something a little less $$ for the amount you get. I predominately tie small nymphs and buzzer style flies for trout.

Please dont use this as a brand bashing topic as thats not what i’m looking for, i just want input from users of the Firehole brand

Regards

Paul

Mitta
    Participant

A second attempt – I don’t know why this platform deletes a post as a consequence of editing.  It really does do my head in.

A couple of years back, Rob Gee of Troutlore gave me some samples of  the Firehole Sticks 516 jig hooks, size 14.

Dimensionally, they were precisely the same as the Dohiku ‘J’ series jig hook (a great hook by my estimation).

My only complaint of the Firehole hooks was that they tended to attract trees and/or branches.  Other than that, they performed perfectly.

A perfectly entangled mitta.

F1A09DE3-FC3E-4FED-89F1-94CE15A00885-1

freestone
    Participant

Hi tyers,

Not sure if this has been discussed previously on this thread but i couldn’t do a search on it. Apologies if its a repeat.

I’m looking at using the Firehole hooks for my tying and was just wondering if anyone uses or has used them and their thoughts on the quality. I’ve been using Tiemco hooks for most of my flies and they are great but would like to try something a little less $$ for the amount you get. I predominately tie small nymphs and buzzer style flies for trout.

Please dont use this as a brand bashing topic as thats not what i’m looking for, i just want input from users of the Firehole brand

Regards

Paul

I have used Firehole 811 hooks which are a heavy wire strong streamer style hook. In the smaller sizes they make a superb wet fly hook especially for mud eye (Wal’s mudeye) and Russel Anderson’s water spider patterns used for targeting trophy fish. Very strong, good keeling and good hook setting capability and reasonably priced.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.