Travel Talk Heading to Utah, Yellowstone , Grand Tetons and Bozeman. Then to UK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Flyman1
    Participant

USA

My wife and I will be visiting family in Utah in July for a month. While there plan to do some fly fishing in local rivers near Salt Lake city. Then off to Yellowstone ( 4 days ) and Grand Tetons ( 4 days ) with family.  Also plan a stopover trip to Bozeman after Yellowstone, as may plan to stay in Bozeman as a base for day trips to nearby spots etc.  Happy to fish with a guide to start, to familiarise me with local conditions, etc.

Any info on which rivers will be best to fish at the listed locations, will be appreciated.  My brother has tried fly fishing after me nagging him, but to date has been unsuccessful after a few attempts and has given it away.  He tells me he can see them but can’t catch one. My challenge is to hopefully, improve his strike rate and for me to catch one also.

Due to ease of packing in my luggage. I have a 4 piece 4 weight Sage One rod that I was planning to take with me, but consider this may be a bit under gunned. Opinions please. I would be willing to purchase another 4 piece rod rod to use. Was thinking 6 wt ? would do. Recommendations appreciated.

UK

Will be visiting England after USA,  arriving mid August for a month.  Time will be split between London ( 9 days ), Glasgow ( 5 days, hopefully a game of golf at St Andrews ) , York and somewhere, not finalised yet down in Cornwall, before heading back to London to fly home.  This will be a hire car touring , but may just be able to get a fishing session or two in, along the way.  No idea where to go, so any info appreciated. Was thinking my 4 weight should be OK in the UK.  Your recommendations appreciated.

Warnesy
    Participant

Yellowstone is awesome. All of the rivers there hold fish. The Gallatin, the Lamar and the Soda Butte were all favourites.

I haven’t done much in the UK. Fished the Usk in Wales when it was basically in flood and got a couple.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Your 4 weight Sage will be fine for that country. There are plenty of builders over there if you think you might need something heavier but a twig is more likely.

Mother never, ever, took a favourite rod up there. A new toy was just a necessary ( according to her)  part of her fishing expeditions. I believe my Dad and I payed for them by being too idle to do our own washing. Anything left in pockets was fair game once it hit the laundry and there was precious little mercy shown.

I really do wish I could comment on Europe but it is still on the to do list. Best of luck Flyman…

Cheers…Jimmy

chf
    Participant

Lots of options in the UK , and it depends a bit what your after … pilgrimage to the classics , dedicated fishing holiday ,   or just a day on the water somewhere in between other commitments .

So … the Hampshire & Wiltshire chalk streams are a day trip from London and August is ‘low season’ , so head to Stockbridge to get your tweed vibe on , there are some seriously lovely waters around here and I’ve had good advice and days from Fishing Breaks run by Simon Cooper , and from Robjents Fine Country Pursuits in Stockbridge ( phone only , no website ) .

Never fished near Glasgow ( would love to fish the Clyde one day ), but if your heading to St Andrews maybe take a small detour to Loch Leven for a little loch style action … beautiful water and one of the classics, historic island castle on the lake , good boats and gillies available for a day . If you heading to the highlands thats another matter and there are too many options really , and its all great .

Near York you’ve got all the Yorkshire Dales rivers  , home of North Country Spiders where you used to be able to get a day ticket from many of the local post offices in the villages . Or you could head a bit south to the Peaks district where there is a famous fishing pub , the Peacock at Rowsley which has fishing rights to quite a bit of water .

Have a ball!

flylife

I have fond memories of the English Lakes District. I assume you can still hire traditional rowing boats and fish for wild browns if the mood takes you. Beautiful villages and countryside. Think Beatrix Potter…

Flyman1
    Participant

Yellowstone is awesome. All of the rivers there hold fish. The Gallatin, the Lamar and the Soda Butte were all favourites.

I haven’t done much in the UK. Fished the Usk in Wales when it was basically in flood and got a couple.

Thanks for the reply Warnsey.  I will do  my best to check them out.

Flyman1
    Participant

Your 4 weight Sage will be fine for that country. There are plenty of builders over there if you think you might need something heavier but a twig is more likely.

Mother never, ever, took a favourite rod up there. A new toy was just a necessary ( according to her) part of her fishing expeditions. I believe my Dad and I payed for them by being too idle to do our own washing. Anything left in pockets was fair game once it hit the laundry and there was precious little mercy shown.

I really do wish I could comment on Europe but it is still on the to do list. Best of luck Flyman…

Cheers…Jimmy

Thanks for the reply Warnsey.  I will do  my best to check them out.

Flyman1
    Participant

Mother never, ever, took a favourite rod up there. A new toy was just a necessary ( according to her) part of her fishing expeditions. I believe my Dad and I payed for them by being too idle to do our own washing. Anything left in pockets was fair game once it hit the laundry and there was precious little mercy shown.

Cheers…Jimmy

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. I will do my best to check them out.

Flyman1
    Participant

Lots of options in the UK , and it depends a bit what your after … pilgrimage to the classics , dedicated fishing holiday , or just a day on the water somewhere in between other commitments .

So … the Hampshire & Wiltshire chalk streams are a day trip from London and August is ‘low season’ , so head to Stockbridge to get your tweed vibe on , there are some seriously lovely waters around here and I’ve had good advice and days from Fishing Breaks run by Simon Cooper , and from Robjents Fine Country Pursuits in Stockbridge ( phone only , no website ) .

Never fished near Glasgow ( would love to fish the Clyde one day ), but if your heading to St Andrews maybe take a small detour to Loch Leven for a little loch style action … beautiful water and one of the classics, historic island castle on the lake , good boats and gillies available for a day . If you heading to the highlands thats another matter and there are too many options really , and its all great .

Near York you’ve got all the Yorkshire Dales rivers , home of North Country Spiders where you used to be able to get a day ticket from many of the local post offices in the villages . Or you could head a bit south to the Peaks district where there is a famous fishing pub , the Peacock at Rowsley which has fishing rights to quite a bit of water .

Have a ball!

Thanks for the info. Will do my best to check the contacts out. Lunch at the Peacock looks on the cards.

Flyman1
    Participant

I have fond memories of the English Lakes District. I assume you can still hire traditional rowing boats and fish for wild browns if the mood takes you. Beautiful villages and countryside. Think Beatrix Potter…

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.