Flies & Fly Tying Green Nymph

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

The humble green nymph is perhaps one of the most under rated flies around,however when the margins are flooded,its brilliant.

P4100832-2

Attachments:

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Gee the partridge tied back under the wing case is a clever bit of work… part nymph/part soft hackle.  Another ripper off your vice!  You could maybe try to write up the recipe for us plodders? Please? Pretty please with a beadhead for effect?

Slightly envious… Jimmy

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

Gday Jimmy,recipe as follows:Tied on a Tiemco 5262 size 16.6/0 brown thread.If you wish to use a bead,suggest 3/32 brass for fishing shallow margins,I prefer them without  when used as an ambush fly and almost fish them almost static.

The tail is green cock hackle,a little trick to make it splay, is to get it into position and then drop a tiny bit of UV resin at the base to set it into place. Then tie fine gold wire for the rib.

The body is 2 strands  of a four strand Anchor Stranded Sticktwist Mouline embroidery thread.Any Spotlight store will have it.I prefer to use this instead of dubbing because its easier to get a neat even thin tapered body on a small hook as opposed to dubbing.Finish the body just over two thirds of the way up.One of the biggest mistakes  I see with my students is they crowd the eye by not leaving enough room.

The wing case is pheasant tail,the legs are Teal Duck Flank dyed Olive.I prefer the Teal to partridge on small hooks as it is slightly stiffer and a little finer.Tie the wing case towards the rear and then tie a clump of Teal .measuring just under a hook length to the front.Use your thumb to split the teak legs and then pull the wing case forward to bisect the legs.Maneuver the legs to where you want them and then finish wing case with some UV resin to toughen it up.Send me your phone number via private message if you wish to discuss further.

cheers

jimmyellenberger
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

flylife

Very fishy fly there. Can’t you just tell at a glance if a fly is worth tying on? That one sure looks like it is…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.