Conserve & Manage Gowan Brae (Tas)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rick
    Participant

Just a note for all of the fishermen that have accessed the World Heritage area via Gowan Brae, that The Aboriginal Land Council of Tasmania, Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre, Tasmanian Land Conservancy have put a stop to any access!

I heard this from a very reliable source but I cannot mention names due to possible repercussions.

I know the access was previously on private land but it seemed there was no real problem getting through, not the few times I used it anyway!!

It will make for a long trip from Ada or Clarence to fish Naomi or Olive!

I hope this isn’t long term! šŸ˜

Daniel
    Participant

Just in reply Rick, the Tasmanian Land Conservancy doesn’t have any role at Gowan Brae these days.

From what I understand, the new owners are keen to get control of their property, and put a stop to the blatant destruction and vandalism caused by the deliberate activities that have been occurring over the past few years. I couldn’t blame them either, when you see the long-term damages that have occurred there over the past few years, and nearby at Roscarborough, Pine Tier and Skullbone.

My feeling is that some formal access arrangements will be developed over time to facilitate access to Naomi etc, and that it would be beneficial for anglers to work with the new owners in encourage it. I know that AAT has written a few letters etc on anglers behalf’s.

Rick
    Participant

I hope there can be some agreement reached Dan, it’s such a beautiful area! Naomi is a treasure!

Rick
    Participant

"ANGLERS ALLIANCE TASMANIA

MINUTES OF GENERAL MEETING
    Sunday 2 June 2013 at ZepĆ¢ā‚¬™s Campbell Town

Gowan Brae
    A letter from the NWFFC to the IFS was tabled expressing concern that continued access through this property would be available under the new ownership. AAT to write a letter seeking clarification to the Aboriginal Land Council of Tasmania and the Tasmanian Land Conservancy."

tarronjefferys
    Participant

HI All,

Is access allowed these days?

Taz

Johnrs
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.