Species Talk GOODoo News

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author

aybe
    Participant

A larger image.

Keegs
    Participant

Nice catch aybe.
    Went out during the day chasing yellas a few weeks ago. Had no luck on them but did pick up a 73cm and my first meter cod. Was in a hole that you may have fished with Ben one day

ben
    Participant
    quote aybe:

A larger image.

About time you got one Ash- might be able to get out in a couple of weeks – hopefully.

Nice By-catch Keegs – 1metre cod is a cracking fish

Cheers

Ben

aybe
    Participant
    quote ben:

quote aybe:

A larger image.

About time you got one Ash- might be able to get out in a couple of weeks – hopefully.

Nice By-catch Keegs – 1metre cod is a cracking fish

Cheers

Ben

Your not wrong Ben been pretty lean so far for fish actually landed.:oops:

Boris
    Participant

G’day fellas any one know how water are around the Murrumbidgee for cod? Looking for info for some visiting anglers from Europe who are itching to c&r some nice cod. Any help would be great.

Tbolt
    Participant
    quote Keegs:

Nice catch aybe.
    Went out during the day chasing yellas a few weeks ago. Had no luck on them but did pick up a 73cm and my first meter cod.

A metre on fly. awesome!!!! s:up

Cheers

DrSpeckles
    Participant
    quote HamishWebb:

Hi guys

The cod fishermen amongst us might be interested in my latest blog, which looks at how shifting baselines affect our perceptions of how “healthy” fisheries are. It spends a fair bit of time looking historical murray cod populations. Anyway, hopefully its of interest. http://flickandflyjournal.com/2015/06/1 … fisheries/

Cheers
    Hamish

Just read this Hamish. Really good work.

I remember discussing with some locals out on the Darling once about how the fishing had been stuffed. I asked them how they knew the fishing was no good. They told me that in the old days they would camp by the river and put out 50 set lines and expect to get close to 50 fish when they came back. Now they were lucky to get any.

Not bright enough to put two and two together…

thommo227
    Participant

A little movie from the weekend. Water was still a bit high, fast and dirty and my home-made special was the only fly I could tempt them on despite trying much brighter patterns in the chocolate coloured water.

thommo227
    Participant

Wanted to see if you can catch cod in the winter.

Spent a nearly full day hiking up and down the river. Water much dirtier than usual, but the cod were on fire.

My best outing yet. 7 landed, 3 lost including what I think was my biggest hooked ever (yes I knew I should have changed the chaffed leader after the first 3 fish, but was being lazy).

Unlike in the warmer months, most hits were very soft – just a light twitch of the line rather than the usual heart-stopping thump. It felt like they’d just nipped the tail of the fly, but had actually eaten it.

Beautiful warm day, but had to get down into the Speedos 3 times to extract snagged flies and the water was absolutely icy.

thommo227
    Participant

I’m over trout, since I started stalking Goodoo, esp on surface flies in small streams.

I’ve become obsessed with inventing new surface flies that work, but are not impossible to cast once they get wet.  My next attempt will be a foam water dragon fly.

Despite the terrible drought, there’s still some good cod action to be had, but the walking can be tough given the terrain they live in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPnOAP19-M

blkmtn
    Participant

Nice Thommo. Your video is making me jealous, I need to get back out on the water!

What setup are you using for them?

thommo227
    Participant

Nice Thommo. Your video is making me jealous, I need to get back out on the water!

What setup are you using for them?

Just an Airflo 8WT, floating line 8WF.  I also have a 9WT with floating line, but find the 8WT less tiring to use all day.

Last few trips have been donuts.  Drought just getting worse here, bright cloudless days no good, the cod are too wary.  Praying for cloud and rain.

thommo227
    Participant

Was hoping it would not come to this, still no sign of rain either.

codfather
    Participant

i’m on the granite belt in SE QLD. the whole place is wrecked. the only place where there is water is in natural holes in national parks where they weren’t pumped dry last summer. plenty of instances of mass graves of fish when the waterholes were pumped out. this summer is shaping up to be a repeat of the last one. above average temps and below average rainfall. it’s going to take some huge event to pull us out of this one and when it comes it will likely mark the start of the next drought. makes me want to move to NZ. somewhere where it rains and its not heat waves for 9 months a year.

thommo227
    Participant

i’m on the granite belt in SE QLD. the whole place is wrecked. the only place where there is water is in natural holes in national parks where they weren’t pumped dry last summer. plenty of instances of mass graves of fish when the waterholes were pumped out. this summer is shaping up to be a repeat of the last one. above average temps and below average rainfall. it’s going to take some huge event to pull us out of this one and when it comes it will likely mark the start of the next drought. makes me want to move to NZ. somewhere where it rains and its not heat waves for 9 months a year.

Yup, not sure how the local cod will recover from this.  That kill is in a lesser-known creek, but there was still a reasonable amount of water.  There are (were) cod in some tiny land-locked holes.  Not sure how the slightly larger rivers will fare?  I’m expecting next cod season to be a tough one, with much lower numbers than usual.  To the east of Armidale, things are a little better with more rain in the trout & bass streams, but still pretty low.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.