Species Talk GOODoo News

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Keegs
    Participant

We) done guys

aybe
    Participant

With the change in the weather yesterday I slipped out last night to see what might happen.Trying out a new hook and shank configuration it didn’t take long.The overcast conditions where favouring surface flies it seemed.

Things got a little frustrating after that as I went on to miss the next four strikes.A lack of concentration mostly anyway I decided on a fly change.Went back to a more proven hook/combo.The next strike from this little guy came up solid.

Fishing has been a little slow this season.But hopefully this rain will freshen everything up.And I hope to get some more overcast conditions.That certainly extends the time surface flies are effective.Normally its only a very short period each night.
    cheers
    Ash

flyonline
    Participant

Nice work Ash, I was out too in the rain, good to see I’m not the only crazy bastard s:up Don’t be fooled, cod will certainly take surface stuff in the middle of the day (I fish surface stuff 99% of the time, early morning, day and night) – just target the shaded areas 😉

As for missed takes, sometimes it’s just that way. I once had a hot streak where I landed 10 fish straight, but I’ve also had cold streaks and missed 20 in a row 🙁

Steve

aybe
    Participant

Steve
    Hows your season been?Ben and I were up your way opening week but didn’t land too many.And yes I managed a few surface takes during the day.But around here we don’t tend to have that overhanging thick vegetation.There is just not enough shade created for the fish to be that confident it seems.Sub surface flies are required then.Generally though early and late are our best chance.
    cheers
    Ash

ben
    Participant

Good stuff Ash s:up

Ben

flyonline
    Participant
    quote aybe:

Steve
    Hows your season been?Ben and I were up your way opening week but didn’t land too many.And yes I managed a few surface takes during the day.But around here we don’t tend to have that overhanging thick vegetation.There is just not enough shade created for the fish to be that confident it seems.Sub surface flies are required then.Generally though early and late are our best chance.
    cheers
    Ash

Ash

it’s been hot and cold so far, started with 3 sessions without seeing a fish after landing a couple on the first trip out – unheard of!! For the whole of last year I think I went 1 or 2 sessions without seeing any fish. Hit a purple patch the other day though and managed to land an 80cm, got busted off by something I’d guestimate about the same size and had a fairly serious hit that shifted significant amounts of water.

To be fair though, almost all of that was on lures as I’ve been road testing a new lure for an aussie maker that built one specially for me on my suggestion and success on his lures last year 😉

Heading out early tomorrow though with fly rod in tow s:up

Better go and plant some tea-tree along the river edges, they grow pretty fast and like hanging over the water :whatever Look me up next time your over this way 😉

aybe
    Participant

Ben had some surface success on Sunday morning. s:up

I’m sure he just woke me up while it was still dark so i’d be there to take his picture :whatever

aybe
    Participant

Two different river systems this W/E.Results were thin but quality was pretty good.

Keegs
    Participant

Well done Ash

ben
    Participant

Great fish – well done s:up

Ben

aybe
    Participant

Well the grass isn’t always greener.Nailed this greedy little guy just a few minutes upstream from home in the Goulburn R.tonight.Been waiting for the level to drop.Too much water is sent downstream nowadays.Flow is a bit much for sinking flies but surface appears to work.
    PS.I should add that’s a 5/0 owner spinnerbait hook its scoffed.

ben
    Participant

out of the boat?

Ben

aybe
    Participant

Float boat yeah Ben

HamishWebb
    Participant

Well it was a case of third time lucky for me. Over the weekend I headed out on my third attempt to catch a cod on fly. Success came when this little cod hit my gurgler for the third time. Looking forward to getting out and doing it again soon. Lots of fun. (http://flickandflyjournal.com/2015/02/0 … od-on-fly/)

Cheers
    Hamish

aybe
    Participant

Good one Hamish. They will reward those that perservere. Hope it’s the first of many.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.