Travel Talk Gippsland in Autumn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

mjfriso
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m looking to do some day trips to Gippsland this autumn, but I have no experience fly fishing in this area save for a single trout caught last year on the Loch river.

I had a fairly unsuccessful day on the Tanjil and Thompson last weekend and am thinking I may try Bunyip or Tarago rivers this Saturday.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Marc

Scotty45
    Participant

Hi Marc. If you find you can extend a trip to 2 or more days, you might consider Buenba Ck, (N/east of Benambra). I’ve just arrived home from 4 days there, & had a ball catching 40 plus fish. They’re not huge, my biggest was 30cm. Most in the 15-22cm range, but very fiesty & happy to take a #16 Royal or grizzly Wulff. I’d have hooked more with size 18 or 20 flies. It wasn’t unusual to spot up to 6 fish holding one pool. Good camping areas too, & not too far from the Gibbo River for a change of scenery……..Scotty.

Matt H Gippsland
    Participant

Hi
    Not much happening in the Tarago or bunyip as yet. We have not had much rain and flows are low and slow. I would have gone tanjil tarrago or Latrobe if travel from melbourne is limited.

mjfriso
    Participant

Thank you both for your replies.

Matt, do the Tarago and Bunyip improve as we get closer to winter?

Matt H Gippsland
    Participant

They both will but will need some good rain to get the rivers moving the Tarago is the better river but the water board are letting stuff all water out so it may be even later than normal.

Fitz
    Participant

You would think…..

…but no.
    Tanjil.
    Saw only one rising fish all day, caught on a barbless, my first time using one. Water is a lot cooler after the last weeks cold nights. Not really much in the way of a hatch.
    Beautiful day though, lovely sunset on the way home.

Matt H Gippsland
    Participant

And the fish length was?

Fitz
    Participant

9" -10" maybe, never took her out of the net. Nice condition about 2/3 to 3/4lb perhaps.

Matt H Gippsland
    Participant

Well done that’s a nice fish for the tanjil.

Scotty45
    Participant

Hi again. A mate & I hit the Tanjil to day. Beautiful looking water, but only managed one small rainbow near the bridge. There was evidence that the water may have got a good flogging over Easter. I know the rubbish left on the bank would suggest there was quite a few people around…..Scotty.

Fitz
    Participant
    quote Scotty45:

Hi again. A mate & I hit the Tanjil to day. Beautiful looking water, but only managed one small rainbow near the bridge. There was evidence that the water may have got a good flogging over Easter. I know the rubbish left on the bank would suggest there was quite a few people around…..Scotty.

Your not wrong there. I see some dept or other has begun ripping up river side camp sites and closing off access points to the river. Walked 10s of Kms of the stream over the last few months and saw a huge amount of litter. I know of three or four campsites that have been ripped out and rightly so if the shit, toilet paper, and empty Jim Beam cans are a measure of the calibre of camper there. These bogans ruin what is a most beautiful stream.

Scotty45
    Participant

These bogans ruin what is a most beautiful stream.[/quote]
    You got that right Fitz. It’s happening everywhere, & we could start a whole new discussion on the subject. I guess the only solution is heavy policing with heavy penalties. But that would increase the cost of fishing licences to a prohibitive level. Maybe, if the authorities did close down more camping sites. Then these beautiful waterways could be enjoyed by just diehard fisherpeople who don’t mind a bit of a bush bash to get access to a fish……Scotty.

Graham1
    Participant
    quote :

I had a fairly unsuccessful day on the Tanjil and Thompson last weekend and am thinking I may try Bunyip or Tarago rivers this Saturday.

Hi Marc,

Anything to report.??

Did you end up hitting the bunyip or Tarago, If so how did you go? Was thinking of heading that way myself over Anzac break.

Cheers, Graham.

mjfriso
    Participant

HI Graham,

unfortunately I didn’t get a chance work etc…

Will have a look on Anzac day and let you know.

Marc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Gippsland in Autumn’ is closed to new replies.