Tackle Talk G Loomis Max GLX or Primal Raw?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

denhooi
    Participant

I’m looking for a new 6 WT for the western Vic lakes.

I’m currently deciding between a G Loomis Max GLX or a Primal Raw which I can both get for about $500 brand new.

I think the GLX may be an older technology but a good reputation. The Raw is a newer model.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

dynaflow
    Participant

Primal…if only because of the infinitely better Warranty.

Gerard
    Participant

I’d buy the zxl 690…

DrGraham
    Participant

denhooi, in all seriousness, the only person who can decide which is the best rod to buy is you.  My advice, the same I give to others choosing rods, is pick up a rod and give it test drive and see which one suits your casting style and purpose.  Asking which rod to buy is like asking whether to buy the Julius Marlow or the Florsheim.  Only you can visit the shop and put your foot in the shoe.

Johnrs
    Participant

And another vote for the  ZXL listed for sale  on this site.

The extra length would with those just out reach emergers so common on the Western Lakes.

John

Gumwah
    Participant

I have cast both and would say GLX every day of the week…

denhooi
    Participant

thanks guys!

paul.barnes
    Participant

Hi

I have the GLX Max in a 5wt. It is a pretty good rod. It was my lake rod until I recently bought an 10 foot rod (Echo ION XL) for extra distance and in a 6wt on the lakes.   The GLX isn’t that far behind it.  It’s a pretty good rod. I’m sure you will like it. However, for $500 (which is what I also paid for it 8 years ago), I would consider a 10 foot rod of the same value. I reckon the extra foot gives you that little extra to catch those fish a little too far out, and helps with casting when wading right up to your chest.   Just my opinion.

Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.