Events FLYLIFE Forum Gathering 2021 Death March

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author

dctrout
    Participant

Great to hear there is plenty of water up there so hoping there will be some still around for the Gathering.

This walk http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/kosciuszko-np-south/cascade-hut.html popped in to my head today during a training walk.A nice hut that just happened to be my first overnighter in the Snowies around 5 years ago which I did with minimal training.It did chew me up and spat me out late last year getting fairly nasty blisters up Bob’s Ridge which only got worse over the next few days hiking and fishing.So I feel I have unfinished business up Bob’s Ridge.Plenty of room to camp to get away from the snorers.Overlooks Cascade Creek nearby for the not so adventurous and there is further investigation to be done for the the more adventurous or masochist dropping down to the Indi around Tom Groggin top paddock or just down Cascade Creek if it looks as tough going as I suspect it is but afterall it is a death march.

For more detailed maps go to https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/  and download Tom Groggin and Chimney Ridge or just scroll around the map on above link.

Some good homework above for anybody that hasn’t been there before and enpugh info to scare you if you can read a topo map.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Its a fine line between temptation and torture boyo’s…

Where’s my topo….

Any brier patches up there ya reckon? They are my only effective defense against the Redders machine, rumoured to be doing 5 km circular laps of eastern Melb. … at speed.

Cheers…Jimmy

dctrout
    Participant

Jimmy all the topo maps you need are at the six maps link above. Just start at the two mentioned and go from there. Not quite the same as a paper map but I just print off the sections I need and join them together. A lot better than carrying 2,3 or4 separate paper maps.

wyldone
    Participant

800m of Elevation

It chewed you up and spat you out

Death March… sounds about right!

Nog
    Participant

I remember climbing the Bluff Spur as a 15yo,  and that almost killed me.  My Dog, what have I got into???

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Thanks DC, I am a very slim chance for this gig but not for lack of desire, just available time and enough leg power.

D.O.B syndrome…

Cheers…J

dctrout
    Participant

Leave approved for week before and after Gathering today.

Plenty of time for some serious expeditions.

Stephen Hill
    Participant

Come along for a walk, they said.

It’s a bit steep, but not too bad, they said.

You’ll be fine, they said.

It’ll be fun, they said.

I nearly died, but it was worth it-ish 🙂

Wyldone is a weapon. 🙂 🙂 🙂

wyldone
    Participant

Haha… I had a head start on ya buddy… so got my some of my breath back when you got to the top,

That was 350m elevation with day packs… now DC wants to do 800m of elevation with full packs.

So I assume you’re up for it Stephen?

Nog
    Participant

Who the fudge bought all the tents and sleeping bags.
    ultralight madness is upon us.

800m over what distance is the question

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

two states.

disbelief and then onto deep depression.

but youse guys have fun.

dctrout
    Participant

If you look at the topo map in my above post/link it starts at around 1520 metres and finishes at 1480 metres.So by my calculations that is a slightly down hill walk over 10 km.

wyldone
    Participant

Yes DC, I did look at you’re topo… and it rates the walk as “HARD”.

I’m thinking there’s a perfectly good explanation as to why it would get a “HARD” rating…

You’ve done it and it messed you up… do us mortals stand a chance?

Stephen Hill
    Participant

…..
    So I assume you’re up for it Stephen?

Unable to make the trip across this time.

Pencil me in a definite probably maybe for 2022.

The only training I’ve done for a while is from car to bakery. To be fair, sometimes I can’t get a park right out the front.

Nog
    Participant

It must be an altitude thing, 10klms in one day with a 200m climb doesn’t sound that daunting on paper.  Am I missing the fact that I’m carrying a load?

I did Milford glamp style a few years back…. 🙂

I was counting on Stephen carrying me up the 1:10 grades 🙁

Redders? You coming 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.