Events FLYLIFE Forum Gathering 2021 Death March

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

wyldone
    Participant

Hi All,

A few of us are planning on doing a hike or 2 the weeks pre-Gathering and post-Gathering.

So, I guess this is an expressions of interest post.

Considering it could be in some pretty rugged terrain, at least and average level of fitness (me) would be required.

If there is interest, the Death March regulars (DC, Warnsey and myself) will post up hike info and the gear you’ll need.

There’s no need to rush out and buy a bunch of gear… unless you want to (Nog?)… I (and some of the others) may have spares that can be borrowed.

Disclaimer – These hikes are planned around a camp fire often with alcohol involved. This means that some adventures are exploratory. Occasionally, there are zero fish in the rivers after the long walk, but often it’s well worth the walk.

So who’s in?

1. Nog
    2. DC
    3. Warnsey
    4. Wyldone
    5. Twigman?

Chief
    Participant

Oldies might need to congregate at somewhere like Tumut pre gathering where the couches are comfortable 😅

Nog
    Participant

I’d better start walking the dog then

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I’d sooner break my own legs to avoid it.

once bitten…

cheers,

betcha catch loads

JC2
    Participant

I’d sooner break my own legs to avoid it.

once bitten…

cheers,

betcha catch loads

Was that because of DC’s cooking and coffee making skills?

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

lack of perhaps.

my experience lay with junior and actionman… 22 klicks? (in waders)

dctrout
    Participant

Looks like I am in 👍🏻
    Don’t let 2fish put you off as we generally do a hike suitable to participants but the more pack fit you are the more enjoyable it is.
    I also have some gear to loan if you are new to this “niche “branch of flyfishing.
    And by the way there are no waders needed with the trip Mitch refers to as basically an easy day trip😉 that I chose the soft😮option of fishing at the lake but it was before I had caught the hiking bug.

Nog
    Participant

Just for rough planning purposes, will this be a pre or post affair?

Asking for the wifey…she’s not coming but sharing the drive down to Vic then picking me up on the way back

wyldone
    Participant

Nog,

DC and myself (not sure about the others yet) will be there for the week prior and the week post gathering.

We’ll be wandering around the park for most of those 2 weeks, so jump in whenever it suits.

Most pack trips are 2-3 nights… but there is a possibility of longer trips.

More details of the trips when our fearless leader (DC) works out a plan.

Nog
    Participant

Nog,

DC and myself (not sure about the others yet) will be there for the week prior and the week post gathering.

We’ll be wandering around the park for most of those 2 weeks, so jump in whenever it suits.

Most pack trips are 2-3 nights… but there is a possibility of longer trips.

More details of the trips when our fearless leader (DC) works out a plan.

Roger that, could be a while with DC. I’ve heard he likes to take it slow 🙂

wyldone
    Participant

Let’s talk gear,

Below is a list of what you’ll need, including recommended gear. Remember, you’ll be carrying it on your back, so weight plays a pretty big part in what you chose. As mentioned, between the regulars, we have several spares (except Sleeping bag/Quilt… your “twig and berries” stay in your own bag!), so there’s no need to panic or opt out if you’re short on gear.

Pack – There are so many to choose from. Make sure it is suitable for all the gear you’re carrying and that it fits well.

Tent – must be a reasonable quality 3 season as a minimum. 4 season is OK, but they are usually heavier. Look at something sub 1.5kg or less. The Dan Dursdan X-mids are pretty cool for the price point… right through to the more expensive, super-light DCF offerings.

Mat – Thermarest or S2S do some pretty good ones sub 0.5kg. Aim for something with a R-rating >3.0.

Sleeping Bag/Quilt – Ideally it should be rated to at least -3 deg and be sub 1.2kg. DC, AW and myself have gone down the quilt path and love them.

Trekking Poles – Optional, but they can help with tough walks and can be used as tent poles on some tents.

Water Filtration – Katadyn Befree… nuff said

Head Lamp – Something sub 100gr with 200+ lumen.

Phone – Mainly for offline maps. There are several good apps available. A Charging system may also be required on longer walks.

Cooking – stoves/pots/gas/cups/cutlery. Choose a system that suits your meals taking weight into consideration.

Boots – Simms and Orvis do some pretty good and not too heavy wet wading/hiking style boots. Also gaiters are a must. Something like S2S Quagmires.

Clothing – Comfortable walking clothes, Puffer jacket, quality thermals, hiking socks (x 2 at least), footwear for camp (optional), light rain jacket, hat, glasses.

First Aid –   PLB/Inreach, compression bandage, Blister bandages, paracetamol.

Toiletries – Toothbrush/Paste, Toilet paper, Hand sanitiser/Wipes.

Food – There are many freeze dried commercial options that are ok… just! I dehydrate my own stuff. DC dry bakes (#glamping!). Breakfast and Lunch options could include, Coffee/Pike-lets/Nut Bars/Beans/Salami and Cheese wraps. Lollies/Chews for the walk.

Drinks – Beer (not a typo), Whisky (definitely not a typo), Gatorade powder.

Fishing Gear – pack enough… but not too much.

Let us know if you need more detail on what we use and what spares we have available.

Unless you’re super fit, aim for a total pack weight of < 15kg.

Just to give you an idea of what can be achieved “ultralight” style, I just filled my pack based on 2 nights, fair weather and it came in at 4.3kg base weight. With consumables and fishing gear added, I’m hoping for a total pack weight of <8kg… and I’ll probably still be the slowest…

Getting pumped!

dctrout
    Participant

Roger that, could be a while with DC. I’ve heard he likes to take it slow 🙂

No definite dates at this stage Nog but as Rob said we will be there the week before and after the Gathering so just pick the week that suits you. I shall organize the best hike for the other week😉

dctrout
    Participant

A very detailed list Rob👍🏻
    Except if I turned up without coffee😮 Warnsey would get his legal team to sue me😉

As for the glamping  comment😡 I prefer to call it #hiking in style. And don’t forget the helinox  chair zero👍🏻

wyldone
    Participant

Yep DC… definitely coffee!

I use a GSI drip filter (11g)… DC uses a peculator/milk frother (around 300g)… did I mention #glamping!

I’m undecided about the chair… my rocking chair might get a run if I take the bigger pack…

Warnesy
    Participant

A very detailed list Rob👍🏻

Except if I turned up without coffee😮 Warnsey would get his legal team to sue me😉

This is what we refer to as ‘a common understanding’😂

The chairs are pretty amazing! I’d find it hard to leave them behind now. Looking forward to this. There is a lot of water up there at the moment, which bodes well for the back end of the season.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.