#105 Summer 2021/22 FlyLife 105

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DrGraham
    Participant

Nice surprise this morning, issue 105 in the letter box, and the postie hadn’t bent it. A good start to the day.

Leighton Adem
    Keymaster

Excellent news DrGraham

Rabbit
    Participant

Un real it turned up in W.A. regional yesterday Thank you!

Nice to be one of the early ones !

Leighton Adem
    Keymaster

Gosh that has to be a record!

Chris Beech
    Participant

Nice balance in this one. We need to encourage greater diversity and particularly female participation  – keep it up FlyLife!

Anthony Cole
    Participant

Elsa Caruso’s article really got me thinking. Being a hardcore surfer through the 80’s and 90’s I could count the number of women surfing my local spots on less than one hand, it was the same all over Australia, and the world. The wheel began to turn some 20 years ago and now female participation has gone through the roof. On any given day, at any given beach guys still dominate the numbers, but nothing like they used to. Women are accepted as equals in the water now and no one raises an eyebrow at their presence. All the big surf brands have womens ranges, including wetsuits and surfboards, top female professionals now earn equal prize money as the men, something once deemed unimaginable.

I have always found this strange. Not to sound condescending or sexist, but along with surfing and golf, fly fishing is very feminine, its more suited to women. None require brute strength to master, its all timing and touch, rhythm and finesse, not many males have these attributes! I prefer to watch women play golf and surf, it just looks natural, the style and grace, the skill and ease. Blokes try and over power everything and miss the point. Watch a good female caster and you’ll see what I mean..

I haven’t bumped into too many women fly fishing in my travels but Im sure that will change, fly life is a much better magazine with Elsa/Cale and other women contributing…… the wheel is turning.,

Leighton Adem
    Keymaster

I had similar thoughts on the surfing parallels in the 80’s.

There’s actually a recent documentary on the topic called Girls Can’t Surf.
    https://www.stan.com.au/watch/girls-cant-surf-2020?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1263226&gclid=CjwKCAiAhreNBhAYEiwAFGGKPMOm_Nage72gXLpCoNM4MP-pZ5MKfZLC4gRuG05vymDTh4VMPEVTghoCsDYQAvD_BwE

Anthony Cole
    Participant

Yes. I’ve seen it and highly recommend it.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

nobody ever mentions the orange…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.