Talking Tactics Fly Fishing Jindy and surrounding lakes/dams

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mitch2540
    Participant

Hey guys, any help or info is much appreciated.  After fishing the thredbo for a while with a fair amount of fish, I was hoping to take my barely used 6wt to the lake.  I live right on lake Jindabyne and not sure what methods or tackle I should be using?  Streamers with a sinking line?  Chironomids on a 12ft leader with a midge ball top fly? I am keen on droppping in to see the boys at the shop to ask for some tuition, but thought I’d swing it by you guys first.  I have a decent 6 wt floating line on a very cheap setup but any guidance would be great!  Also I just fish from the bank, I have a boat it just lives on the coast, bugger..

Tight lines, Social distancing n all that fellas! – Mitch

MJL
    Participant

Mudeye patterns after dark.  Sinking pattern (e.g. Craig’s Nighttime) on the point and floating wake fly (e.g. Cubits Mudeye) on a dropper tied fairly high up the leader. I prefer grassy bays rather than rocky shore.

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

Mudeye patterns after dark. Sinking pattern (e.g. Craig’s Nighttime) on the point and floating wake fly (e.g. Cubits Mudeye) on a dropper tied fairly high up the leader. I prefer grassy bays rather than rocky shore.

@MJL
    , out of curiosity what is the ratio of takes betweent he sinking pattern (point fly) and floating wake fly (dropper)?

MJL
    Participant

It’s typically a transition.  I arrive a bit before dark and there is usually a bit of a wait before it gets dark enough for the fish to begin to move into the shallows.  The first hits will come on the sunk fly at the very beginning of your retrieve (i.e. very far end of your longest cast).  As time goes on and it gets darker, the mudeyes really start to migrate towards shore in numbers, the fish will move in closer and eventually start to hit the dropper as well as the point fly.  They will reliably switch to the floating fly after it is completely dark.  You will also start to get mudeyes walking up onto your waders to hatch.

So on a typical evening, I will start with only the sinking point fly and add the floating dropper once it starts to get dark.  The dropper can be simple. Four inches of 10 lb tippet looped directly to the fly line where it joins the leader works and you can have it prepared with fly attached ready to go.  If/when they start reliably hitting the floating pattern, I will happily swap out the point fly and fish two floating patterns.  Be guided by whatever is working.  Really dark nights are different (and I would say better) than one with a moon.  There is no such thing as too dark IMO.

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

Legend, thanks for the pointers.  I have started fly fishing again after +10yrs chasing sambar.  Will defo give it a go when I hit Euc in a couple of weeks

Angus056
    Participant

Just wondering if the same tactics would be used in winter

MJL
    Participant

The mudeye hatches are a summer thing. April is about the end of it.

But in summer this does work anywhere mudeyes are hatching (look for the shucks around the edge on trees and rocks).  In some places you can strike really good fishing after everyone else has gone home.

Mitch2540
    Participant

Thanks heaps MJL, I just wish I had had your knowledge in the warmer period.  We’ve started to have our first casual jindy frosts so the hoppers are becoming sparce.  Also with the whole “should we flick” scenario I feel fishing on the lake might be safer as it is literally across the road.  I haven’t seen boat or a fisherman in days, but plenty of rises in the morning.  The splashes and explosions I hear at night sometimes though… It’s enough to start donning the waders and thermals at ungodly hours.

But as it has been pointed out, with the cold weather on its way, what tactics shoild I be using?

What flies? Morning over afternoons? Both? Streamers with no weight stalking in weed beds? Weighted lines and streamers in deep rocky drops? Small nymphs/midges on a 12ft leader with split and indicator?

I’ll apologise for the amount of questions but after all the big browns I have seen cruising the shallows in past winters left me with my jaw dropped and my head racing with the question… how?

If anyone can shed some of their hard earned knowledge on the lakes coming into these colder months, that would be tops!

Cheers all, Mitch

fin101
    Participant

Jindy has some of the best polaroiding mid to late winter. Surprised you’ve not heard about it. Depending on the water level that is. Despite popular belief not all fish run up into the thredbo. Had some epic lake sessions on browns and rainbows during these times, and it’s not crowded.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Jindabyne has been pretty ordinary for the past few years, but if I had to pick one month to fish it, it would be August. Look for a nice big high pressure system coming over, clear blue skies, no breeze and crystal clear water…get out at dawn and get a few hours in before the breeze comes up … the Polaroiding can be fantastic.

Benny2627
    Participant

Woolybuggers on a floating line, vary retrieve, fish around any structure. Cover ground fairly quickly but stealthy and use good polarised sunnies.

fin101
    Participant

Never well in winter if the water is too low, browns don’t like covering distance in shallow water. That is what I have noticed anyways. They like to be near deep drops in case of emergency so it’s a quick scoot to deeper water and safety, although at times you do find them in bizzare locations throwing caution to the wind. Same goes for Jindy when the lake level is too high, don’t get to see the fish in the flatter terrain away from high rock banks. Can be a fantastic place to be in the right conditions.

Greywulff
    Participant

In winter fish deep and slow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.