Talking Tactics Fly box anxiety

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

micmac3701
    Participant

Okay well if the first step to recovery is recognition and admission. I have a fly box problem.

Every season i clear out the vest in some sort of attempt to travel lighter on the water and stare dumbfounded at the stack of boxes i lug around. There is the caddis box, mayfly box, generic and terrestrials box, nymph box, wet fly box, streamers box and the small flies for fussy sippers box.IMG_2836

Even my twig rig C&F lanyard thingy, whilst something of a victory in travelling light, still contains a squillion more patterns and flies than I’d ever use.

So then how many boxes do you carry for a normal day out on the water?

Is fly box anxiety an issue we need foundations and help lines for?

Chris Beech
    Participant

Depends on what sort of water…

Trout stream… 3 or 4 small to medium C&F boxes. One nymph box (has a leaf insert), a general dry box (for Vic and Tas streams) and then a special box (or two) usually for Hopper time or if in NZ.

Trout lakes – same nymph box, the same general box and a box of wets.

Native freshwater – 2. Have culled down to maybe 8 fly patterns in a few sizes and colours.

Saltwater flats – on foot, one or two boxes. In a boat, one to three, but my boat box is large.

Saltwater inshore – just one boat box.

Plus several Plano boxes in the den which I pick from depending on the trip.

You see? We have the same virus!Resized_20191201_070945_5975
    20191215_142603
    20190609_131113-1008x756-756x567-1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.