Flies & Fly Tying Flies for women’s breast cancer fishing clinic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Over the past couple of years the Forum members have been behind an important gift to women who participate in a breast cancer recovery fly-fishing day at the Dutton Trout Hatchery, Ebor, NSW. Each year we have jointly tied a set of flies for each of the women who participate. The physical exercise of learning how to cast a fly rod is apparently a very useful exercise after breast cancer surgery. And the emotional support that the gift from fly fishers – total strangers to the women – has proved to be a huge boost to them.

This year the clinic will be on Saturday 6 November. We expect about 15 women to be there, so we want to assemble 15 fly boxes packed with flies.

As in the past few years, we’d appreciate anyone tying a set of flies. It would be great if we could mostly get sets of 15 identical flies so that the boxes all look similar, but anyone who finds that a bit tedious is always welcome to send us a mixed set of 15. Once received, the flies will be divided between 15 brand new boxes and given to the women at the start of the day.

We also include a note of the names of the fly tyers or clubs who contribute the sets, and in the past we have also included personal notes of encouragement to the women that many of you have sent. I am sure that most of you will have had family or friends who have been affected by breast cancer, and will understand the challenges that the women are dealing with.

I will need the flies by the start of October so that I can sort, pack into boxes and get to the organisers well before the day.

Please post them to me at Peter Gibson, PO Box 537, Paddington, NSW 2021. Email me or phone if any queries ([email protected], 0425 211 313).

DrGraham
    Participant

Peter, I have 15 Pot Scrubber Nymphs ready for you.  I should get them in the post in the next few days.  Cheers, Gra.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Peter, I have put together 15 ziploc packets with 10 flies in each packet, along with a card from the Fly Fishers Club of Tasmania. I will get them in the mail tomorrow.

We have a fishbowl on the President’s desk that we constantly fill with all sorts of flies which we all then buy for a gold coin if anything clever proves tempting. Sort of a slow-mo fundraiser and educational exercise all at the same time.

I have put together a mixture of dries and nymphs for each packet with a few soft hackles and wee wets in the mix as well. Nothing too radical. No Intruders ,Sex Dungeons or Scary Alien Skullbusting Stoneflies.

Please pass on our best wishes and encouragement to all the Ladies. And three cheers to the organizers once again.

Regards…Jimmy

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Jimmy that is fantastic! Looks like we will have another set of beautiful boxes this year.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Well dont be too alarmed when you only find 13 packets, because the two I just found in my rucksack/lunchbag  will be in tomorrows mail.

Dumb as a ROCK…Jimmy

oldpiscator
    Participant

Hey Jimmy do you mean dumb as a rock or dumb as what wombats use rocks for ? Reckon you might have been imbibing in to many rusty nails.

micmac3701
    Participant

Some CDC emergers and Cad Bugs in the post to you today, hope they are of use.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Thanks guys, Jimmy and Graham’s flies have arrived. Looking forward to yours Michael.

Will post some pics in a couple of days.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Mick, flies arrived safely, very nice!

dctrout
    Participant

I mentioned it at the Warrnambool Flyfishers meeting last night and hopefully will get a few offerings to send off to you at our next meeting in a month’s time.
    As I mentioned last night it has been a great thing to be involved in over the past few years.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

David, that sounds good. Look forward to your usual great effort.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Gary C, your Red Tags and Spinners arrived. Thanks. Nifty little cases!

squish
    Participant

Just saw this, I’ll send 15 ea of – Stimulator, bh nymph and para adams.

Cheers

Darren

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Darren, thanks, I got a text from Aust Post saying they are soon to be delivered.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

Darren and Alan, your flies arrived safely. Nice work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.