Talking Tactics Flies for Spring and Season Opening

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

StartlingTrout
    Participant

Hi All

Being relatively new to hobby I have started thinking about the season opening and the flies I need/want to tie in order to be prepared for spring and the season opening.  Apologies if this is a somewhat silly question but being a newb I thought I would throw it out there anyway.  Hoping to learn something from those with more aquatic insect knowledge of the rivers of the North East, be better prepared and hopefully fish better.

Many thanks in advance.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

red tags, wulffs/coachmen, adams.

all you would need on top.

below? nymphs. brown and black.

cheers,

shawn

ps. you’re going to get every answer imaginable.

ANDREW
    Participant

Mainly nymphs: brown and black with copper and tangsten beads in size 16 and 14.

It may be too early for dries but have some just in case.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

What Shawn says.

Bill
    Participant

I’m pretty new at this, but a bloke at my flyfishing club reckons these are a killer-diller – all season.

An American thing, I think, he calls it a Rainbow Warrior.

chf
    Participant

+2 for the Wulff ( big ones early , smaller later in spring  ) , Adams ( smaller ), and brown and black nymphs ( beaded pheasant tail is pretty hard to beat ) as a great starter.

Early season NE is likely to be highish water , possibly discoloured too , so I’d also tie up a few Woolly Buggers with and without beads or weight … you can fish them upstream just like a big weighted nymph , and you can fish them down and across the runs , and deep through the big pools too .

StartlingTrout
    Participant

Thanks to All for the replies.  Once I tie a few I’ll post some images and when September comes around hopefully pics of them stuck in the top lip of a trout or two.

Cheers

Paul

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

I’m pretty new at this, but a bloke at my flyfishing club reckons these are a killer-diller – all season.

Bruce Wayne
    Participant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.