Tackle Talk Favourite Rods

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

woody-wood
    Participant

Looking at wanted to buy posts on the Forum had me thinking of ‘what are my favourite rods’.

Now I have quite a few rods in the arsenal, wife doesn’t realise how many, but there are a couple that have become my favourites to use.

Sage Z-Axis 490. Brought this when they first came out, model between the XP and the One, and have used it in rivers from Tassie to Dorrigo. I rate this rod as the best all round series that Sage have put out. The 4wt punches above its weight in what flies it can throw, how it casts into strong wind, and fish fighting ability. A bit heavy in blank weight compared to current offerings but my favourite 4wt to use. You don’t see many come up for sale 2nd hand.

Sage ZXL 476. Just a lovely short rod for those overgrown bush lined streams. Moderate action that will throw a dry delicately onto the water or has enough low down grunt to cast two nymphs under an indicator. The 4wt has enough power to fight big fish but excels at this length in the tight work.

Scott G Series 590. A different rod to the 588, this rod is a dry fly rod that lays a fly on the water as delicately as dropping a feather. Big fish, big water rod for when finesse is required. I use this rod in Tassie, NZ and mainland Aus when the duns are coming off. Everything from size 18’s to size 10’s. Has landed some big fish but doesn’t have the fish turning power of faster action rods, it requires angling technique to land the fish in fast water.

Meiser C 11’7” 3wt. A trout spey that makes trout from 10” to 6lb fun to catch on the swing. Excels with a Scandi line casting soft hackles or unweighted wets. I have a Scott 6wt if I want to get big and go deep, but the 3wt is just fun. Casts a Skagit line ok but I like the Scandi on it better.

A few of my favourites. Each for their own purpose and I have other rods that I use for some of the above situations, but these are the ones I grab first. Everyone has their own go to rods, but these are mine.

I know marketing has most to do with bringing out new models, but you have to wonder if newest is best when some of the older rods are near perfect.

Gerard
    Participant

Keeping it to one z-axis 690 which I love casting

I bought a ‘demo’ labelled from a guy in the US who had it in a cupboard for years never fished.  Fished many many times since and replaced a tip, stripper and cork grip.

Fishing better than ever; power with feel…

micmac3701
    Participant

For everyday on the river Winston BiiiX 8’6″ 5wt, pretty much the first rod I reach for and a total joy to fish with.

For lakes and windy days G.Loomis GLX 9′ 6wt 2pc, a very old rod but it just keeps doing the tough jobs so well.

For twiggy stuff HCE streamspec 2wt, surprising reserves of power when needed and just grin a giggle for all the rest of the time.

All the others get a run from time to time, in specific circumstances but these 3 I fish more than anything else.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Fancy Woody getting into a Meiser!!

Working from the top down I will have to go with Aunty Beulah which is a 12’4″ 5 weight Onyx and ALWAYS has a bit held in reserve. Scandi, Skagit, long belly , whatever else…She does it all with style.

Then there is a Thomas and Thomas  old school Vector in a 9′ 4 weight  that is just plain stunning to cast.

Another Z-Axis in the 8’6″ 5 weight  which was apparently purpose built for the St. Patricks River

and then a wee 6’9″ Echo Glassie for fun and games on the creeks.

Waiting with only moderately contained glee for a Blackthorn pattern Boo from our man Rampant once he gets settled somewhere…

After that a whole pile of random sticks with sentimental or historical importance.

I try not to count anymore…Jimmy

Alanta
    Participant

I have six or seven rods in the armoury  but find myself going for the Sage ZXL 9ft 6wt just about every time I go out.  It has a nice easy action and is versatile enough to cast a two nymph indicator rig, dries with the appropriate leader, or size 8 weighted wets. It’s eleven years old and I like it so much I can’t see the point of updating.

If I ever break it I would probably revert to the Kilwell  9ft 6wt Innovation or the Sage Launch 8½ ft 5 wt.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

back when I fished it was a zxl 4 8′

been burnt out since the chunt flu kicked off.

woody-wood
    Participant

Hi Jimmy,

love the Meiser.

No wonder they get such a good wrap. I would seriously look at a 12’6″ or 13′ 5wt or 6wt if the rivers we have here were a bit bigger and the NZ salmon scene hadn’t collapsed. I would like to try casting a MKX to compare to a CX.

Can never have too many rods.

woody-wood
    Participant

Hi Jimmy,

love the Meiser.

No wonder they get such a good wrap. I would seriously look at a 12’6″ or 13′ 5wt or 6wt if the rivers we have here were a bit bigger and the NZ salmon scene hadn’t collapsed. I would like to try casting a MKX to compare to a CX.

Can never have too many rods.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I just bet you love the Meiser,  possibly the best dressed gentleman in the quiver as well.

Style IS important, I dont care what any one says. Actually I am pretty sure it was James Taylor…” since we’re only here for awhile, might as well show some style”

Redders being a good case in point.

Cheers…Jimmy

Peter Gibson
    Participant

An original G.Loomis GLX 5 wt 2 piece…the old grey series from the 1990s. Could fish for days with that rod without even thinking about…it was like it was part of my arm.

micmac3701
    Participant

Yep Peter, my old GLX 8’6″ 5wt 2pc still gets a run. Still the gauge I measure river rods against. Could never bear to part with it, too many river miles together.

Warnesy
    Participant

For creeks it is the Sweetgtass 7’3’’ 3wt, no doubt influenced by the fact also that it is my favourite type of fishing. Rivers it is my T&T Horizon 8’6’ 4wt and for the bigger streams or lakes I reach for the Orvis Helios II 9’ 5wt.

Now to get out than use them. My wife remarked just yesterday I have probably forgotten how to fish (implying I knew what I was doing before…).

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Which was really quite generous of her, all things considered… Funny how closely matched our quivers are Warnsey.

Jeez I hope this blockade ends soon, I dont want to get locked out of another Gathering.

cheers…Jimmy

Redders
    Participant

Mine would have to be any bloody thing i can get to water ….

I’d be happy to use Jimmy’s or Woodys-‘s 12 & 13 weights in a 2ft wide creek at the moment.

Finally a believer in true fashion- Thanks Jimmy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.