#96 Winter 2019 Fancy Petes Flying Snake

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dctrout
    Participant

I may be a bit confused with the title but I do look forward to Petes column with much anticipation.

The latest one really caught my eye last night as I have always missed a few fish in a local river suffering from short takes,boils etc and had entertained the idea of a stinger hook in the tail but had never got around to it.So straight to the vice I went and tied up a black snake fly without the eyes as it was to be used in very shallow volcanic rock runs and I didn’t want it to snag then tied it on to my pre rigged rod ready for a dawn patrol this morning.

Arriving at the run this morning in the pre dawn darkness it took only five casts before I caught and released a nice brown and then not more than 10 minutes later I had a second one on the board.I was feeling a bit smug at this point thinking I had finally solved the short take/boil problem but alas in the next hour I missed the next 3 but thinking back about the events of this morning I don’t recall ever having that many chances in that run in one session so at least I have a fly that does hook up with a 40% success rate and generates a lot of interest from the trout.

Well done Pete and keep those interesting flies coming.

Peter Watson
    Participant

Thanks DC ! 🙂 Glad to hear they brought you some success.

Your feedback on takes & misses is interesting in that it mirrors what others have said about snakes flies. Seems you miss a few of the takes you get, but they do elicit more of a response from the fish. At least you know there’s a few fish there even if you miss a few of them.

What colour did those discerning western district fish like? I’m thinking I might need to swim one around the Purrumbete weed beds 🙂

dctrout
    Participant

I only tied up one (which was black as I planned to fish it in the relative darkness of dawn)  because I did have concerns about the castability of the snake fly as I do have some problems with tail wrap during casting on my other long tail types of flies but this was not an issue with it only fouling up every now and then.

As for Purrumbete I would favour brown zonker over a  dark green body as this is the colour of a Bushy’s Horror that I have had so much success with there over the years.If you do ever plan a trip there please let me know as it has been way too long since we shared the water.By the way there was a couple of browns in the shallows at Purrumbete a couple of weekends back but could only get one to follow resulting in another short take which seems to be an ongoing issue of mine.However this was two more trout than I saw in there last Winter and here’s hoping they get more plentiful as per the year previous which was my best ever Winter at Purrumbete.

Peter Watson
    Participant

Brown zonker, green body … check. Will store that away for use later, thanks DC 🙂 will definitely give you a yell if I’m heading down would be good to have a fish together again …. and a coffee!

Wet
    Participant

Wow, I looked at this pattern and thought Leech… Then thought of the Pres!

dctrout
    Participant

Not quite sure of the connection Wet 😮

But glad to see you were thinking of me 😉👍🏻

flylife

Does it lose its vibe if the trailing hook is a bit smaller? Just asking cos I know some bream busters who use very tiny stingers to convert taps and hits…

micmac3701
    Participant

Looking forward to giving these a swim in the still-waters this winter. Hard to imagine a cruising big brown ignoring all that pulse and wiggle.

Wet
    Participant

Not quite sure of the connection Wet 😮

But glad to see you were thinking of me 😉👍🏻

Troll’s Pres… Troll’s

dctrout
    Participant

Troll’s Pres… Troll’s

[/quote]

I thought you might have been referring to leech 😮

I may have added to the species tally caught on this fly on the weekend getting a bi catch of a 3lb estuary perch and just happened to be at a spot where I fished with Pete several years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.