#99 Autumn 2020 Eucumbene River

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JOHNB
    Participant

Excellent article of the Eucumbene River. How has it faired through the recent bush fires? Are areas such as Sawyers, The Portal and Denison still accessible?

flylife

Badly burnt out with a lot of access closed. DA and others have sent me some very black drone footage and stills.

Chris Beech
    Participant

So much for catching this years spawn run!

flylife

There are apparently signs of rapid recovery, and fish still have to spawn.😉

flylife

David Anderson sent me this link of the Eucumbene 3 weeks after the fires…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjKQtRkS5Eg

David Anderson
    Participant

FWIW, the Perisher Creek article I wrote some years back was done a year after bad fires through the Snowy Mountains and it fished better than might have been expected even if it hadn’t burnt.

While the fires are a real drag for this season, and I won’t be back this year, I’m certain the Eucumbene will recover and return to being one of the best trout rivers in the country.

scanoe
    Participant

A sad and thought provoking post from Col at Adaminaby Angler today.
    Please support Snowy Mountains businesses. The post from Col in Adaminaby portrays the struggle for survival that local businesses are facing. If we lose these people and their businesses we are losing the heart of rural Australia. Please get in the car on the weekend and support regional Australia. Stop at the pub for a meal, grab a cream bun/meat pie/coffee from the bakery, buy local gifts, spend a night in the hotel. Get a half days guided fishing from a guide who will help you to learn the basic skills that will lead you to a life-long hobby/obsession. Show your kids how friendly regional Australians are …and while there let them see the impact the fires have had on the countryside and economy. Get out there Canberra….this is our back yard…an easy day trip and even better overnight getaway.

JOHNB
    Participant

I looking to go and spend a few dollars in the next week or two. Hoping to access the Eucumbene around The Portal or Denison.

Sorry to read post from Col, something of an institution and will be sadly missed.

If anyone has been in the area over the past couple of weeks I would be interested in a report on access and fishing conditions

cheers

John B

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.