Flies & Fly Tying Dyna King Trekker

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Starry
    Participant

Hi folks,

I have a Dyna King Trekker vise with standard jaws. The vise has only tied at most a few hundred flies and now the jaws cannot hold any trout size hooks. Not Impressed!

I have searched online to try and purchase both a set of standard and midge jaws, with no luck. I can buy them from Dyna King but the cost is a crazy 582.83  US

Would anyone know of a shop here in Australia that sells Dyna King jaws? I have tried untamed tackle and they are out of stock.

At the price of replacing the jaws, I think I may be better of buying a new vise. Not Dyna King!

Regards

Starry

freestone
    Participant

Hi Starry, I had a similar problem with one of my Dyna Kings.  Solved the problem by giving it a bit of a service.  Took the jaws out, cleaned them up as best I could, same with the female part where the jaws fit, same with the threaded parts, then applied a very small bit of wheel bearing grease to all the parts that could move. Kept the grease away from the hook contact surfaces of the jaws. Reassembled it, and worked better than new! Still working well after about 5 years since the service.

Starry
    Participant

Hi Freestone,

I have done a complete service as per the Dyna King service video. No improvement, unfortunately. I have searched my concern through Google and it seems that the D K jaw problem, similar to mine is quite common.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Starry

Chris Beech
    Participant

After 34 years of commercial tying with Dyna King, I recently replaced my vice with a Renzetti largely to capture all the hook sizes that I tie on, without needing to change jaws or wear out the tips for the rest of my life. DKs are solid vices, but I think better suited to hook sizes and styles that suit the jaws. For me that was #8-#10/0.

Starry
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Considering the Renzetti Traveler. Around the same price as the D K jaw replacement.

Regards

Starry

Chris Beech
    Participant

Great vice for trout and estuary flies

Shawry
    Participant

Starry,

Have you been in touch with Dyna-King directly?

I had dramas with my Barracuda 6 – 12 months after getting it 20+ years ago. I can’t remember what the problem was but I emailed them and they couldn’t been more helpful.

Shawry

Starry
    Participant

Hi Shawry,

I did send DK an email to let them know. It will be interesting to see what they say. Thanks for letting me know, that they are helpful!

Starry

dynaflow
    Participant

You could try a post on the salt water forum,or alternatively try Flyshack in the U.S.A.(thanks Lando)

https://flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=119235&LCI=X

Starry
    Participant

Thanks Dynaflow,

Impressive fly shop and reasonably priced.

Starry

hendo285
    Participant

Hi Starry

I had the exact same problem with my DK barracuda. It is great for hooks that fit in the grooves (bigger than size #4) but mine doesn’t hold smaller hooks very well at all (or shanks). I tried contacting DK and they weren’t very helpful. They really didn’t want to know about it. I tie trout flies as well as SW so decided to get the midge jaws but they really aren’t any better. If I were you I wouldn’t get the midge jaws but put the money towards a different vise for hooks smaller than size #4. The midge jaws are pretty expensive and didn’t solve the problem for me.

Hendo

Starry
    Participant

Thanks Hendo,

Finding D K the same as you. I’m now considering a Stonfo Elite or a Renzetti Traveler. I will keep the D K as a backup and just buy a set of standard jaws when they become available here in Oz.

Regards

Starry

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I had a problem something similar when I had the dingo.

I removed the jaw and champed it. from there I took some cloth, wrapped it around the beak (if you like) and vise-gripped the  jaws together with the champ still in its jaw. gave it a slight overbite but never had a trouble again.

but from there on out I never stuck a hook bigger than a sz10 in the midge jaws.

if one thinks about it, if you can bend steel one way surely you can obviously bend it back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.