Tackle Talk Droppers twisting around leader

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

OldManMacca
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m having a lot of trouble with my droppers twisting around the leader. I’ve followed the advice of Neil Grose in his book “Essential fly-fishing techniques for Australian lakes”, using maxima green, and attaching the droppers to the leader using a surgeons knot, and using the piece that points down for the dropper. Any advice that could help me out would be greatly appreciated!

micmac3701
    Participant

Up the diameter and shorten the dropper if you haven’t already tried that.

flylife

I prefer the tag on a double uni knot but often it’s about the fly combo you are using. Agree that shorter droppers are less bother, and traditionally it’s a down wind cast, not punching into a breeze. Comp guys would have the answers, cos I get my share of tangles and hate tying knots so only use multiple rigs when I really have to.

oldpiscator
    Participant

Use a tippet ring with heavier dropper tied on side of ring and longer tippet on the bottom end. Hends also make dropper rollers which run down to the top of the ring but they aren’t really necessary in my opinion.

Wet
    Participant

You have it right, use the tag pointing towards the end of the leader (not the flyline). Use the tag to tie a half hitch above the surgeons knot, this will present the dropper at a more perpendicular angle. Philip Weigall taught me this method years ago and we still use it to great effect. Also keep the dropper length short as you can 4″-6″ would be as long as you would want to stop twisting.

I’ve purchased some micro swivels to use for rivers when fishing tandem nymph/wet rigs, this could be an improvement to the twisting in currents.

If you need I could film a short clip if you don’t quite understand how the half hitch works.

OldManMacca
    Participant

Ok, so my droppers are obviously too long (8-10”).  I’ll try shorten them and slightly up the diameter. I’m casting while drifting with the wind at my back.  I think I’m following you “Wet” with the half hitch. To be clear, you’re saying to take the tag pointing towards the end of the leader (the dropper tag) and tie a half hitch above the surgeons knot?

flylife

I reckon the half hitch creates a weak spot, read bust offs, but I guess Phil and Wet are dealing with some serious fish at Millbrook etc. What mono and breaking strain Wet? Double uni creates dropper at right angle.

oldpiscator
    Participant

I reckon the half hitch creates a weak spot, read bust offs, but I guess Phil and Wet are dealing with some serious fish at Millbrook etc. What mono and breaking strain Wet? Double uni creates dropper at right angle.

Used to use the half hitch but too many break offs so now use the tippet rings.

Alanta
    Participant

I go against conventional wisdom and use the upward pointing end of the surgeons knot tag for the dropper. The downward pointing tag is already hanging close to the tippet tending to making it easier twist around it. The upward pointing tag leans away.  Tippet rings are the best answer though, provided you don’t have the fiddly job of tying on a new one waterside.

OldManMacca
    Participant

Gee, I’m not sure I have the dexterity to work with tippet rings!

MJL
    Participant

If you are using the bottom pointing tag the half hitch goes under the surgeon knot (i.e. around the tippet).  If you pull on the dropper it sort of pops and transfers the hitch from the dropper to the tippet. The dropper becomes a direct path/pull to the fly line. Hard to explain but it works.

Use 6 lb Maxima which is thick and stiff and short droppers (6” max).

OldManMacca
    Participant

If you are using the bottom pointing tag the half hitch goes under the surgeon knot (i.e. around the tippet). If you pull on the dropper it sort of pops and transfers the hitch from the dropper to the tippet. The dropper becomes a direct path/pull to the fly line. Hard to explain but it works.

That makes sense MJL. I do now recall being shown by Peter Hayes how the hitch rolls between tippet and dropper… amazing how things get lost in the memory bank until jogged!

Wet
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

Wet
    Participant

If you are using the bottom pointing tag the half hitch goes under the surgeon knot (i.e. around the tippet). If you pull on the dropper it sort of pops and transfers the hitch from the dropper to the tippet. The dropper becomes a direct path/pull to the fly line. Hard to explain but it works.

I won’t argue your results MJL, however as I stated the half hitch above the knot is where I and every other I know places it, this allows the dropper to roll down as an indicator if you had a hit and were unsure of which fly was taken.

In any case Old Man Macca I’ve placed contact details in the private reply, I’ll send you a quick video of how it works. The forum software won’t let me load it 🙁

Wet
    Participant

I only use Trouthunter Mono, most of the time we’re down to 3x (0.205mm) 8.2lb or 4x (0.185mm) 6.9lb with clients…This last weekend we had to pull some out of the weeds.

I have only ever had bustoff’s back years ago with Sightfree G3 flurocarbon, it was fine and stiff and used to work harden on the droppers (3 fly rigs).

I go to 4lb in Trouthunter and have no issues when I’m fishing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.