#96 Winter 2019 Derwent Bream

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

BarryJ
    Participant

Great article! It has certainly piqued my interest in having a crack at bream! After all, the upper pic on p35 was taken around 3km from home!

flylife

Me too Barry. I’ve neglected the Derwent in recent times and I’m told its been full of big baitfish this year. Even kingfish being caught at Rosny and Montagu Bay under the Tasman Bridge. When Morsie was down he’d been swinging the Derwent above New Norfolk day after day for FA, then hooked up with the Fishing Connection boys and a couple of quick sessions produced the story…

woody-wood
    Participant

Might be a good article for Flylife on its own, swinging in salt.

I think the article was good because it shows how if one keeps trying something different when nothing is working it will pay off eventually. We have plenty of articles which tell tales of how good it is, but not many that reflect reality of perseverance during blank times.

DrGraham
    Participant

Indeed, a nice article about fishing the Derwent. I’ve chased a few sea-runners early season, to ease the PBTs while waiting for the highland lakes to warm up. However, the article probably should have contained the obligatory warning not to eat any bream caught in the Derwent. As beautiful as the river is, it is still heavily contaminated with cadmium, mercury, zinc, lead, copper and arsenic. Because of their slow growth, long lives and mainly being bottom feeders, with a particular liking for shellfish (great bio-accumulators of heavy metals), the Derwent bream are loaded with mercury well above the national food standards limit.

flylife

And here’s me thinking FlyLife is a catch and release environment…🐟🤔

wardy
    Participant

Really looking forward to this article (haven’t got my copy of FL yet)!!

For context; every time I travel to over to Tassie with a fly rod (at least yearly), I target Bream. Not trout. I started FF 25 years ago as a trouty, and still love to fish FW for trout, but there’s something about wading a remote Tassie estuary on a summers day chasing the wily bream that has me hooked…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.