Talking Tactics dead drifting flies in lakes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

euphoria
    Participant

i see lots of people talking about fishing nymphs and other aquatic insect larvae static under a float but what’s the point? wouldn’t it be the same and make more sense to just drop the fly rod and chuck baits out instead?

Dave
    Participant

There can be a fair bit involved in fishing nymphs and buzzers in still water, although it may seem a little dull getting it right can become extremely in depth and rewarding.

Depth, colour size of the fly, wind drift and wind lanes, indicator style and material, tippet sized and leader configurations, retrieves and speed, the ongoing thought of if im not catching fish why.

This style of fishing is till imitating a food source of the fish.

euphoria
    Participant

hey Dave thanks for our reply, I hadn’t considered how involved it could be, don’t think I’m trying to knock this type of tactic either (i could have worded my post much better) the reason I ask that is because I’m considering trying it myself!

micmac3701
    Participant

I’ll be taking another crack at the winter stillwater midge feeders again this winter.

It’s not hard to work out when they are up top or near the surface but finding the depth and figuring out currents and wind lanes…. turns it into A multi-dimensional puzzle. One that changes every time.

flylife

I know the guys who are really good at it on Eucumbene have made a real art form out of it, but because of the proximity of the Snowy Lakes to so many fly fishers, they are fully sworn members of the Secret Service.

Dave
    Participant

hey Dave thanks for our reply, I hadn’t considered how involved it could be, don’t think I’m trying to knock this type of tactic either (i could have worded my post much better) the reason I ask that is because I’m considering trying it myself!

Give it a go you will find more questions than answers, if your my way (Snowy mountains) happy to catch up for a fish.

euphoria
    Participant

Give it a go you will find more questions than answers, if your my way (Snowy mountains) happy to catch up for a fish.

im always keen for a fish! however im all the way down in south west vic 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.