Talking Tactics czech nymphing flies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rickvisa
    Participant

Hey folks, looking to try the Czech nymphing, in fast water streams in TAS. Wondering what weight , heaviest flies I should be looking to buy? To hit bottom fast, and bounce along? and who sells them in TAS?

If some can help cheers!

Gerard
    Participant

Im not an expert Rick.  But some people advise to stick to a narrow range of nymph patterns and a range of different tungten bead sizes (weight).  Water flow is a factor .  Nymph weight and tippet diameter will have a part to play. Also how streamlined the nymphs are in sinking & getting in the right zone.  Start 5X  tippet, learn casting techniques and practise (+tuck cast), this is key. Don’t use tippet diameter as a crutch to casting and line control (that is smaller diameter tippet).

Support your local fly shop too…

If you have three core patterns and carry them with different bead colours, and in different weights then suddenly you have a lot of options. You could have a size 16 hotspot pheasant tail nymph, with a silver bead in a 2.5mm, 3mm and 3.5mm in diameter. Then also have the same pattern with a copper bead (which changes the look of the pattern a lot), you now have 6 different flies. Hook size wise, I use mainly 18s, 16s and 14s. I like to keep my flies small so they will sink faster. Tom Jarman

The Competitive Edge – Nymphing Equipment – FlyLife Magazine

rickvisa
    Participant

Gerard thanks for the info!!!!! Any idea who sells the heavier 3 mm 3.5 mm ones in Tasmania? Looking for that fast water point fly’s! with out having to add split shot, have heard tungsten heads can be the go?

Gerard
    Participant

Rick

A lot of people in this forum make their own nymphs.  It’s not that hard to do, and it’s the best thrill to catch a trout on your own creation.

For those that can’t be bothered, they tend to support their local fly fishing stores .  These stores will have an online presence too.

I’m in Melbourne so i buy from my local, as I get advise and they are great to deal with.

For Tassy trips, I still deal with my local

I suggest you develop similar relationships wherever you reside.  Clubs are good too.

Give the shops a call

rickvisa
    Participant

Nice one mate. Think i will give the tying a try! cheers again…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.