Talking Tactics Cracking Tompsons Creek Reservior

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Browntrout81
    Participant

After many years of living and working in places with no trout and coming from the UK where I was lucky enough to fish some of the blue ribbon streams, rivers and lakes. Thompsons Creek Reservior has me hooked, and I have resolved to crack the code to success on this fishery.

I understand that nothing beats time on the water, but with work and a young family along with the time to travel to this fishery (I’m two hours away), time is short.

So I thought I’d throw this out there, and see what advice, stories, hints, tips and tactics people have. I’d like to build a yearly profile of the fishery, i.e. Flies, tactics, where the fish are etc. Having completed limited research its seems little is written on the fishery or on such fisheries generally – lots written on the tassie lakes, but is this relatable?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

Hi mate,

Do yourself a favour and book yourself a guided session with Aussie Fly Fisher, who knows that place like the back-of-his-hand

Three sessions over the key months of May-Oct will fast track your learning by about 10yrs

Highly recommended

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

Also an article in the flylife archives specifically written by Josh from AFF regarding this fishery

Any issues tracking it down, let me know

Thomas Clancy
    Participant

Hi Mate,

TCD is a fishery that requires more patience than skill (i.e. how long you can watch 3-4lb fish swim past your flies before you crack and move on). In saying that however, I’ve found the size of the flies to be the biggest contributing factor after having the determination and patience to stay on the schools. Size wise -stick with size 16 and 18 nymphs. Bead head pheasant tails with or without hot spots work well, as do very, very small glo bugs. Depends on the day but really, when the fish want to eat, they’ll eat.

The schooled fish will go through cycles of feeding and milling around exhibiting spawning behaviours – sit on a school for up to an hour or more and you’ll catch fish eventually. Yes, some schools fish better than others depending on the day, but generally, expect to sit on a school of fish for anywhere up to an hour before a bite window opens up. Certain days will fish better than others depending on fishing pressure and the moods of the fish as I said, but if you present the tiny nymphs, under an indicator, to a school of rainbows for long enough, they’ll eat eventually.

Truthfully, there are no real special skills required for this dam, at least for the winter rainbows I’m referring to in this post (browns are another story). Those that regularly catch fish just have the patience to sit on fish knowing eventually they’ll eat at some stage. Tie up a few confidence flies in those smaller sizes, try and keep tippet and indictors subtle and settle in for the waiting game.

Best places to find the schools vary from year to year, but shallow points are always good value. Once you’ve found a few locations you know the fish like to congregate, they’ll most likely frequent those areas for the rest of the cooler months.

All the best and good luck,

Thomas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.