Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

flylife

Dug this up the other day when doing a backstory re the FlyLife 100 milestone. Leighton has put it up on the website but I thought I should fess up and post it here too.
    It’s my first article in Australian Outdoors Fishing Annual back in 1972, about fishing the dun hatch at Bronte Lagoon.
    I did have a laugh when I read it. Brash to say the least…

IMG-1272rob
    IMG-1273rob
    IMG-1274rob

flylife

Pencil marks on the first spread must have been me editing my own work after publication!!🙁
    Not happy with the final result? Some things never change…
    My memory of the article was that the title was ‘Strike ’em hard and high!’ but maybe the editor intervened. Perhaps something related to being a know-all made sense?🤔

woody-wood
    Participant

Page 3, third paragraph:

“As I had no bag I tied the fish to the string supporting both trousers and waders. I made sure it wasn’t hidden by my jacket, so that all that passed by might admire it”.

Good to see the vanity started early.

Classic!!!!

micmac3701
    Participant

“Fish with the enquiring mind of the young and ignorant”

Gotta be a T-shirt in that.

Not so much of the young these days but still an abundant supply of the later that seems to grow with each passing year.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I was one year old. fifty next year.

your[sic] welcome.

cheers,

shawn

flylife

Think I must have lied about my age to get published.
    Think it earned me a fairy down sleeping bag. No, maybe that came later… I remember now, I bought a bullworker. Didn’t bulk my arms out though – too much Pommy blood.

PT48
    Participant

1972? My first year of serious work after graduation. I also remember a late season trip to fish the Eucumbene River. The rainbows were starting their spawning runs and we intercepted them with weighted orange streamers on fibre glass rods (yes, I know). I also have memories of having to get out quick smart because it started snowing and our vehicle was only two wheel drive. A long drive from there back to Melbourne. Oh to be that carefree again!

PT

flylife

Carefree, and with hair too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.