Species Talk Carp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Chris Beech
    Participant

Great sport fish. Got a few today on woolly worms sight fishing,  before they had my measure. Now providing a great Sunday meal for the Chinese family I gave it to. #6 weight, 12′ 10lb fluorocarbon leader and a #8 woolly worm.

Resized_20210228_114008
    Resized_20210228_114011

thommo227
    Participant

They are my latest fly obsession, so much fun, and no kms of rough walking & rock-hopping as there is for cod.

Over the past 2yrs I’ve got them sussed, but they are still tricky.  Have invented a few new flies which work well, including some winter specials (tactics need to change in winter).

I drive 1hr:40mins to my favourite spot which is a pain, but the upside is when I get there, I only have to walk up and down a 400m stretch all day to have shots at numerous targets.  3 landed for the day would be an average day, but some are 20lbs+ and will skunk me.  And it’s all sight fishing which is very cool.

I also use a 6wt Orvis with 13.7lb flouro tippet.  And a strike indicator system as these critters take so softly, they’ll spit it back out without you knowing.

One

Chris Beech
    Participant

The sport continues… The local water cleared up which provided some great polaroiding of some very large fish (should have used the 7 weight) which I managed to a) pull the hooks and b) pop the leader and c) flossed one before finally landing one that I polaroided feeding along a grassy edge. Woolly worm and 6 weight did the job (resistance is futile)

Resized_20210312_134228
    Resized_20210312_134244
    Resized_20210312_123818

Tocs
    Participant

Nice work.  I need to try this!

Gerard
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I think I could have a go at this..

I’ve heard people using 8wt, or even 9wt rods, (with 6wt line, stealth for big carp).
    Do you think this is overkill, or are modern fly rods like Helios 6wt strong enough not to break?
    And what lines do you recommend?  Airflo and Sci. Anglers ?  Or doesn’t it matter too much.
     Cheers, Gerard

Chris Beech
    Participant

I normally use a 7 weight but occasionally use a 6, floating line that will handle the flies (SA MPX, Rio Gold etc) and leaders at least 9′ 10lb flouro. Your reel needs a good drag so you sshouldn’t break a rod… You have to be stealthy – if they see you or the fly line or a heavy presentation,  you’re screwed. The fish in my local average 8-15lb and larger, so I think a 7 is warranted but heavier lines would definitely spook them. I spot them high in the water, so woolly worms, woolly Buggers and large nymphs have worked much better that modern carp flies mostly designed to fish on the bottom in clear water where you can see the take.

Gerard
    Participant

great advice , thanks

CraigP
    Participant

Thommo your picture is outstanding quality!

CraigP
    Participant

I normally use a 7 weight but occasionally use a 6, floating line that will handle the flies (SA MPX, Rio Gold etc) and leaders at least 9′ 10lb flouro. Your reel needs a good drag so you sshouldn’t break a rod… You have to be stealthy – if they see you or the fly line or a heavy presentation, you’re screwed. The fish in my local average 8-15lb and larger, so I think a 7 is warranted but heavier lines would definitely spook them. I spot them high in the water, so woolly worms, woolly Buggers and large nymphs have worked much better that modern carp flies mostly designed to fish on the bottom in clear water where you can see the take.

Um – ive had great success with japanese designed carp fixed line rods (quite the craze in japan and the US) – looooong rods that are the carp version of tenkara. Use the drag and drop technique for casting and dragging the fly over the fish then letting it sink in front – ringht in front. With long 4-6x tippets. Yes, 4-6X!  For 20lb-ers (best to date was 22lb). The rod does the flex work and protects the tippet. You can stl drag them to a long handled net pretty quick.  A net is a must. Try to hand line or grab and you get a carp tail in the face (its happened!). The fine tippet is a game changer. See the US tenkarabum or tenkara guides website for more info.

Warning: Chris Stewart got me into this over 15 years ago, and its like bonefishing, compulsive addictive, and, despite his warnings, i keep pushing gear limits and as a result buying more. The style, even though using flies, is also very close to the dark side of bait fishing with cane poles – not for the purist. But still, so little gear, so simple, so fun.

thommo227
    Participant

A little action from my last outing.

flylife

Maybe bow hunting is on the cards…
    Check out the latest NSW CFA Freshwater Fisher newsletter

Screen-Shot-2021-03-31-at-4.28.06-pm

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I can confirm this is a whole heap of good fun. It kept several teenage farm boys fully occupied all summer long for a couple years in between hay carting and branding sessions. Add in pickup trucks and campfires and it is a hoot. That whole refraction/ deflection thing is a bit challenging however… and the birds nests coming off the reel are absolutely mind boggling at that speed.  It was a great intro to stalking fish and learning basic boat skills.

Yes please….Jimmy

dynaflow
    Participant

To tell you the truth,as long as these pest fish are removed from the water I really don’t care how they’re removed.There,I said it….

DrGraham
    Participant

I’m with dynaflow.

BarryJ
    Participant

To tell you the truth,as long as these pest fish are removed from the water I really don’t care how they’re removed.There,I said it….

I sort of agree but would qualify your statement by saying that no other species (natives, trout etc) should be harmed in the process; ie we shouldn’t resort to use of explosives or poisons such as rotenone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.