Flies & Fly Tying Can’t tie wings for nuts on a wet fly

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Rowboat
    Participant

Well, I have to thank you all. Success !!!! upto a point.  I used a slightly bigger hook, found opposite feathers and pulled the thread upwards tying in the wings. It helped a lot and worked a treat for me. Below attached is my version of a Leadwing Coachman. I didn’t have all the exact materials, so I made it up. It’s on a 12 hook and is my first attempt at this pattern.

Cheers everyone and thanks once again for your help.

oldpiscator
    Participant

That fly will work for sure.

DrGraham
    Participant

Well done, Rob. That’s a neat looking fly. I’d be happy with that.

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

Good work Rob,that will do nicely.I wouldn’t be too concerned about improvising with materials.In my view recipes are  there as a guide.

Peter Gibson
    Participant

If you have trouble working with wing slips, try giving them a light spray with hair spray or artist’s fixative before tying.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

if it’s a wet you’re tying you need to prepare for a lower wing at the body’s ‘head’. a flat platform will suffice which will also allow for a beard for ballast… then tie off your head.

basically tie your wing in with two or three wraps and then physically place the wing by pulling tips downward. add your beard (if’n you want) and then tie off the head.

a lower wing will drift through the water whereas a high-winged wet may spin.

cheers mate,

shawn

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks Shawn. I wasn’t sure how I could get the wing more streamlined, but I understand what you’re saying. Your help is welcome and I’ll try it. In the meantime, I’m having a rest from wings today and trying these. I’m going to throw them up on the “What are you tying” page.

JC2
    Participant

Hello Rowboat, to evenly cut your wings from a feather use two pins pushed thru a piece of balsa wood stick to match the gape of the hook. You can make several to match each hook size. I also spray my feathers with workable fixative to keep them flat and not to split when tied in. I often tie matched duck feathers for wings on dry flies …. if you pinch the thread above the feathers and then pull straight down this crushes the feather onto the top of the hook and dry fly feathers will sit right . It is a similar process for wets.
    Find good feathers to use this is a must and matched feathers make things much easier, thread thickness and economy of thread ( number of wraps) come with experience. Having a good light and magnifier makes all the difference if you can see clearly then it is much easier.

Best of Luck.

Dont give up and practice.

JC2
    Participant

Hello Rowboat, to evenly cut your wings from a feather use two pins pushed thru a piece of balsa wood stick to match the gape of the hook. You can make several to match each hook size. I also spray my feathers with workable fixative to keep them flat and not to split when tied in. I often tie matched duck feathers for wings on dry flies …. if you pinch the thread above the feathers and then pull straight down this crushes the feather onto the top of the hook and dry fly feathers will sit right . It is a similar process for wets.
    Find good feathers to use this is a must and matched feathers make things much easier, thread thickness and economy of thread ( number of wraps) come with experience. Having a good light and magnifier makes all the difference if you can see clearly then it is much easier.

Best of Luck.

Dont give up and practice.

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks JC2 I’ll take that on board.

I have a good head magnifier which I do find essential. A good light, yes I can sort that. I didn’t know about a homemade tool to divide a feather section … useful … as is the fixative ( I suppose “gossamer” hairspray would be what you are talking about) …. and feather selection is always a bit of a challenge for me through inexperience. Cheers, Rob

JC2
    Participant

Workable fixative you can buy from an Art Shop it is for fixing charcoal drawings buy a can it will last you a lifetime. Balsa wood will be there as well.

Jeff

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.