Tackle Talk canon time (okay then Cannon)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

micmac3701
    Participant

The Queens B/day weekend marks the close of the season here in Vic and so its time to pack the twigs, dust off the canons and tackle the stillwaters.

If your a stillwater numpty like me you need a canon to launch as much line as possible because….. you can and it might work.

My canon of choice is a museum piece. It’s a 9′ 6wt GLX Gloomis 2pc blank I bought back in the dark ages. Fitted out with a full wells, lock down reel seat and two stripping guides.

So what canons do people have lurking in the back of the stack?

oldpiscator
    Participant

Mine is a 10ft 6wt Loomis IMX and then when I need a rest I will switch to either a 10ft 7wt Stalker Guide or a 10ft 6wt Stalker Glide.

dynaflow
    Participant

I thought this was going to be about Cameras for a minute instead of Cannon….

But mine’s a 6wt.Sage Method

Cheers

P.S.why are there no Emojis?

oldpiscator
    Participant

When is saw the heading canon I thought we were getting very esoteric and getting into some sacred music !

micmac3701
    Participant

Sacred and seminal texts considered the foundations of literature.

or misspelled cannon…

also have a 9′ 7wt 2pc GL4 that would get a run on the crater lakes when the southwesterlies got up.

micmac3701
    Participant

A 10′ 6wt…….. I think I am starting to realise just how much I need one. I mean surely I could launch even more line.

oldpiscator
    Participant

A 10′ 6wt…….. I think I am starting to realise just how much I need one. I mean surely I could launch even more line.

Just need to make sure you have enough backing to shoot as well. Seriously, the Airflo 40+ fly lines are a perfect match for these 10ft rods.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

That Airflo 40+ that OP mentions is well and truly worth a go. I use a 375 grain fast intermediate across a 13ft 5/6 spey that bends right to the corks. It’s a matchup that will make even the most greedy caster grin and laugh. Made to harvest wind rather than fight it. Easy on the rotator cuff as well. Screaming good fun in a gale.

Addictive but…. Jimmy

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

That Airflo 40+ that OP mentions is well and truly worth a go. I use a 375 grain fast intermediate across a 13ft 5/6 spey that bends right to the corks. It’s a matchup that will make even the most greedy caster grin and laugh. Made to harvest wind rather than fight it. Easy on the rotator cuff as well. Screaming good fun in a gale.

Addictive but…. Jimmy

micmac3701
    Participant

Have taken possession of an RPL+ 7wt 9’6″ which I’d posit is both cannon and canon.

Looking forward to firing it over the lakes this winter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.