Travel Talk Byron Bay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

NickT
    Participant

I am heading up to Byron Bay on Sat for a last minute holiday with the missus any suggestions on fishing locations in the area?

I will have 6 and 8 wt plus kayak.

Nick

youngy
    Participant

Dynaflow is the man to speak to. PM him if he doesn’t get to you first. (He probably will)

dynaflow
    Participant

Youngy I’m on it man… :lol: Hi Nick,as Byron Bay has surf beaches,your fly fishing is restricted to what the ocean is up to and how strong the wind is blowing :o Nonetheless,with the current late afternoon tides there’s some suitable holes to fling your offering into down Belongil beach way,with Flathead on the chew atm and the chance of Tailor and small Trevally always there.If you can get out on the Yak you could try dredging for whatever lurks in the blue water.I’m on 0412857019 if you want to catch up mate.Bring Clousers with a bit of flash in them in any size from #2 up and (for the beach) a Floating line with an Inter tip.
    Cheers
    Peter

nishiki3
    Participant

i spent a week in byron bay last march, fished off belongil beach mostly with an 8wt intermediate, i managed to land a few dart, whiting and bream all on brown over white small clousers, low tide fished the best and the key was to find the gutters and strip fast! steve

Trotts
    Participant

Worth taking the kayak up to the Brunswick river about mins north of Byron. Great spot for a paddle and flick and good excuse to drop into the Brunswick Hotel afterwards. Best beer garden on the north coast. Pat

NickT
    Participant

Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like I will tying up some more clousers…

Peter I will give you a call when I get up there maybe we can tee up a session (my number is 0424527397).

Cheers

Nick

DanB83
    Participant

Look to the fresh….teven golf course west of ballina always fishes good for bass and up around mullumbimby aswell.

thommo227
    Participant

Any fly-fishing options in Belongil Creek for flatties or bream?

dynaflow
    Participant

Well those species are found there,but the estuary is off limits as it’s a protected Marine Zone.However the beaches south of the river mouth heading towards Tyagarah and Brunswick Heads can be good value.If it’s Flathead you’re after,look for the last hour of the Low and the first hour of the Run in tide….

thommo227
    Participant

Well those species are found there,but the estuary is off limits as it’s a protected Marine Zone.However the beaches south of the river mouth heading towards Tyagarah and Brunswick Heads can be good value.If it’s Flathead you’re after,look for the last hour of the Low and the first hour of the Run in tide….

Thanks mate.  Do you mean south of Belongil Creek mouth, or south of Brunswick River mouth?  Will on;y have a 6wt outfit with me so casting off a beach into an onshore wind could be challenging.

Flahead are good, but I’ve recently got into bream on fly which are even more interesting – though I’m yet to get one over about 20cm.

dynaflow
    Participant

Apologies,I meant north of the Belongil estuary mouth, heading towards Tyagarah.I mentioned the low tide because you’re looking for gutters and pools to fish, either from the shore or wading out to cast back towards the shore.Bring Clousers up to 1/0 for the Lizards.Bream are a different proposition and I’ve found them hard to pin off the beach,The Brunswick river to the north is a better bet for them.

thommo227
    Participant

Apologies,I meant north of the Belongil estuary mouth, heading towards Tyagarah.I mentioned the low tide because you’re looking for gutters and pools to fish, either from the shore or wading out to cast back towards the shore.Bring Clousers up to 1/0 for the Lizards.Bream are a different proposition and I’ve found them hard to pin off the beach,The Brunswick river to the north is a better bet for them.

Thanks mate.  I was thinking Brunswick River might be better for me.  Around the highway bridge area.

Also, can you get a Camry down Black Rock Rd to the beach?  Looks like a nice spot if I do give the beach a go.

dynaflow
    Participant

Yes you can drive down there,just be aware that the beach in this area is a designated nude beach and attracts a certain clientele….

thommo227
    Participant

Yes you can drive down there,just be aware that the beach in this area is a designated nude beach and attracts a certain clientele….

Epic!  Don’t feed the beach worms eh!

Maybe the Brunswick will be a more scenic option.

thommo227
    Participant

Brunswick River proved to be a nice little spot.  Nothing big but a bream and 4 flatties over a 2.5hr session with the epic Steve Peachy Shrimp fly variant I’ve started tying.

BrunswickBream

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.