Rod Building Busy at the lathe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Boris
    Participant

Anyway, in other news – I bought myself a lathe and long term I plan on teaching myself how to make a reel.

I’ve been learning how to cut metric threads and WW threads on the same lathe.

Just recently finished some nickel silver cap n ring sets for reel seats.

Boris
    Participant

I’m trying different styles and I just completed a few.

Here’s the rope knurl on a finished rod

Tongariro
    Participant

Every man needs a passion. Good to see yours.

Cheers

Herb

woody-wood
    Participant

Next the agate stripping guide.

Tocs
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing the reels…

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

The classic renaissance man, our Boris. Compulsively autodidactic with a skill set so varied and detailed that it leaves the rest of us languishing in the realms of the merely talented. Ah well… someone has to be leading the pack. One can only wonder what may come off of that lathe. Good work Boris, it’s good to know there is always another challenge isn’t it? Cheers…Jimmy

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I would happily follow boris around in awe until someone called the police.

cheers,
    shawn

Boris
    Participant

Perhaps agates on reels but not guides.

Boris
    Participant

“Looking forward to seeing the reels…”

Me too Tocs. Trouble is I keep making just one more rod….

Boris
    Participant

Too much credit to me Jimmy. But thank you.

However, I do consider myself a renaissance man, it seems natural to appreciate and pursue the arts and sciences. I had a great mentors from my earliest years. My father, classically educated in Europe was erudite, an author, sculptor and an amazing human being.

I hope something rubbed off on me..

BTW, it was great to catch up in Tassie.

Boris
    Participant

“I would happily follow boris around in awe until someone called the police.”

Ha ha ha….. Humour is always welcome….

sleepy
    Participant

Very nice Boris, very nice.

Boris
    Participant

I had success with the repair.

The story went like this..

I bought a nice St. George 3″ with a missing agate. The previous owner put a piece of brass wire and filled it with epoxy. I removed it but I noted that bezel rolled over edge was badly burred.

Since I bought the wrong size bezelled agate I decided I was going to repair the existing bezel. My plan was to cut into the bezel base .004″ deeper so I could get the agate to sit lower which meant that I could remove the burred metal on the leading rollover edge.

I have a 5C collet that accepts the bezel but I had to make a stop with a void to make room for the bezel tang.
    I turned a piece of aluminium to put behind the bezel in the collet, but I don’t have a mill so I had to file the void out by hand.

Did the necessary cutting with a boring tool and the opened the bezel with a forming tool. Put in the agate and closed it over by rolling the edge back without the burrs.

Boris
    Participant

Made a brass rivet

Fitted the bezel and closed the rivet.

Successful repair

I enjoyed the learning exercise.

Boris
    Participant

A really nice old reel lives again for another 70 years!

Its a big deal for me to make such a repair but the job was long as I had to make the fixture and the spin forming tool and the post. But now I can repair other St George agates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.