Conserve & Manage Brumbies in KNP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

turtsboy
    Participant

In other news NSW Gov want to backflip on the Kosciuszko wild horse management plan. If anyone has hiked through the long plain area and seen the damage that brumbies do to high country streams, this backflip is madness: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/environment/conservation/brumbies-cull-backflip-for-snowy-mountains-is-madness-professor-20180520-p4zggh.html

turtsboy
    Participant

In other news NSW Gov want to backflip on the Kosciuszko wild horse management plan. If anyone has hiked through the long plain area and seen the damage that brumbies do to high country streams, this backflip is madness: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/environment/conservation/brumbies-cull-backflip-for-snowy-mountains-is-madness-professor-20180520-p4zggh.html

dynaflow
    Participant

Re Kosciuszko,it’s political correctness gone mad.Tell me what’s good about turning one of our greatest national assets into a giant horse breeding ranch.

Nog
    Participant

Madness and good lobbists is what that is turtsboy

Peter Gibson
    Participant

The idea proposed by the NSW government of giving feral horses “heritage” status in KNP is a disgrace. Such legislation will be almost impossible to unwind.

The damage is particularly noticeable in the northern part of the park, where small waterways and marshes are increasingly being trampled. Fragile stream banks and natural wet moss areas are being destroyed, leaving muddy bogs.

Over the past 50 years or so an enormous effort has been made to conserve and protect the park, but all this work will be undone if heritage status is given to these horses. It is a retrograde step that goes against past scientific advice.

Management of these horses is undeniably difficult but it’s time the government took a stand and met that challenge, instead of pandering to a noisy, self-interested minority of park users (mainly the hillbilly horse ride operators) who claim the horses have some special place in Australian folklore.

I emailed Luke Foley the leader of the opposition and Penny Sharpe the opposition shadow minister for the environment early today, urging them to stand up to the proposed bill.

turtsboy
    Participant

I completely agree, good work Peter. Perhaps a coordinated effort by fly fishers can help drown out the noise of the hillbillies who think that wild horses are part of Australia’s heritage that need to be protected.

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

Posts moved from the “Why can’t wilderness just be sacred…” thread at the request of the originator of that thread.

Warnesy
    Participant

Have to agree. Never seen so many horses as in the last couple of years. In my view the odd glimpse every few years was part of their mystique. Now they seem to be in plague proportions

D Vader
    Participant

WTF !!!!!!!!!! !!!
    I’m not going to go into the damage these animals do its all to obvious …but ‘HERITAGE’ listing to a bunch of FERAL horses is INSANE…..I cannot even fathom where that logic comes from…..FFS …they may as well open up the whole park to cattle grazing and do a real job of it …. what an IMBECILE

Daftwader
    Participant

Your right Warnsey, the whole park is a bit like that now, they’re everywhere.
    If they get away with this, we should start lobbying to get Trout on the National Heritage list as well…makes just as much sense to me. đŸ˜‰

KieranO
    Participant

Of course this announcement has nothing to do with the NSW state election that is due in 2019;)
    Just another form of re-election driven environmental vandalism that appeals to the uninformed urbanised masses.
    The latest estimate by KNP management that there is up to 6000 feral horses within the park. I somehow doubt that any at any time in the past that there have been this many horses grazing unchecked in KNP.
    Apparently, Victoria is due to release its Brumby management plan later this year. Will NSW be the only jurisdiction that is a signatory to the Australian Alps National Parks partnership that protects feral horses?

Johnrs
    Participant

Hi Folks
    Its time to get moving on our destructive “Heritage” feral brumbys
    Here is a petition from the Nature Conservation Council
    https://www.nature.org.au/get-involved/ … mountains/
    Thanks
    John

Blackfish
    Participant

For a really good visual of horse damage here are some drone footage of some exclosures in Cowombat flat https://www.facebook.com/australianalpsnationalparks/videos/316124588798837/

Mitta
    Blocked
    quote Daftwader” post=323187:

Your right Warnsey, the whole park is a bit like that now, they’re everywhere. > . . . . . we should start lobbying to get Trout on the National Heritage list as well . . . . .

After what seems eons, it’s great to see you back on the forum again Norm.

For those who do not know, ‘our’ very own ‘Daftwader’ (Norm) is a top man.

Cheers,

Mitta

turtsboy
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.