Talking Tactics Brook Trout tactical question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Aaron92
    Participant

Gday,

Just wondering if anyone here has had much luck with Brook Trout in lakes, and specifically on the dry fly.

I had a chance at some small river brookies earlier in the year and they were very keen to grab my dry fly on the retrieve, the first one I caught was as I was dragging my fly back in to make another cast. There’s also this video (https://www.podsolflyfishing.com/post/swedish-brook-trout) of blokes in sweden catching Brook trout with big floaty dries on the retrieve.

I’m heading up to Clarence lagoon (tas) in a couple of days, everyone I’ve talked to and everything I’ve read has told me it’s a fickle fishery, and to use big colourful daggy wooly bugger variants because the fish only take wets and cross my fingers. I’ve been to Clarence lagoon before and didn’t see a rise.

I’ll probably try to drag around some big dries anyway just to test the theory, but I’d like to know if anyone else has any theories on why brookies (apparently) don’t seem to rise in Tassie and whether anyone has had any luck twitching/retrieving a dry to stimulate a rise from a brookie in a lake.

Or any advice on fishing for Brook Trout in still water would be be a big help.

Cheers

antron
    Participant

I’ve caught them in lakes and streams here and in US.

In the lakes its only been wets…bugger variants matching local food like the galaxies etc

On the streams it’s been dries and in fact I think its all been wulffs. But the stream fish were much much smaller than the lakes fish.

Michael

flylife

Can’t say I’ve caught them on dries at Clarence but it can be hard to get a nice day out there (I used to stir Greg French that Clarence and Laughing Jack were the two last places God made 🤣)

IMHO brook trout aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed and I’m sure you’d catch them on static or teased dries on the right day. There are Jassids about at present so a brook trout on a red and black dry would be kinda cool.

taupofish
    Participant

The brook trout (fontinalis) is a splendid fighting fish and tends to run deep when hooked. The most popular flies I have tried are black or brown nymphs, the fish seemed to take when the fly is allowed to rest for a couple of seconds then twitched a few times, this style repeated and usually works. One of the interesting thigs I have noted is that the brook trout seem to prefer smaller rather than larger flies, nymphs down to size 16 work a wonder. I have never taken a brookie on a dry fly or streamer!

PT48
    Participant

This is a little off the topic. When I was last in Montana, I was determined to add a Brookie to my catch list. We fished a small tributary of the Gallatin which contained both Brookies and Rainbows. The ‘bows tended to hold in the fast water and the Brookies were in the pockets and just off the current, which called for pin-point casting. I used small dries and they got absolutely smashed. If you are reading this Brent Bowerman, one of your Parachute Royal Coachman flies is forever up a pine tree on that stream.

Bamyasi
    Participant

Have you checked out the videos from Fly Fish Food on YouTube? They have quite a few extended videos of chasing brookies in lakes around Utah and Idaho. They use dries, streamers, nymphs, whatever.

I’ve never fished for them in Australia but in Montana/Wyoming at least they seemed pretty dumb compared to other trout species. Wherever they were present you could catch heaps by skating an elk hair caddis or similar. I’d imagine just about any technique would work fine if you found them in sufficient numbers.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I havnt yet had a crack at the wee buggers here in Tas.  But this whole thread brings back memories of beaver dams in the high rockies where the brookies had big heads and precious little else. They would take a dry right enough but it was always almost totally dark.

Mates here have all backed the big streamer theory with maximum Marabou…

Fortune favors the brave, so good luck on your Clarence expedition. I reckon a few of us would appreciate an update, even if it is in the negative…

Cheers, Jimmy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.