Travel Talk Bright Region Fly choices?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Scottie
    Participant

Good rains in the area at present.
    Give it all time to wash through and settle down and we will see what has been left.
    I will be interested to see what result the fires have had on the streams once the rain flushes into them.
    No doubt the streams where there has been major burns in the headwaters will not fare so well with this rain but we will wait and see.

There are still quite a few weeks left in this season so don’t rule anything out just yet 😉

FlyingDutch
    Participant

Apparently the local drinking water is contaminated? does this relate to the Ovens?

Scottie
    Participant
    quote FlyingDutch:

Apparently the local drinking water is contaminated? does this relate to the Ovens?

Most probably as they have been using fire retardant chemicals in the area for the last 5 weeks.
    Add ash into the equation and it will make the streams “not the best” for a little while.

A good flush should help in the long run but the short term might be not so good 😉

Mother nature is amazing 8-)

Twigman
    Participant

Ovens was a muddy channel at Harrrietville yesterday and still was today
    Logs etc coming down as well, turbidity hadn’t decreased since yesterday and may not decrease for another few days
    The turbidity slug will probably reach the lower reaches tomorrow.
    West kiewa catchment was very dirty today also, but given less fire damage and more dilution from tribs it should recover much faster (although it wasn’t worth fishing pre fires anyway).
    Other streams would be a better bet, although the buckland may suffer the same fate, depending on how much of the upper reaches were burnt out.
    At least the rain should kick start the streams that weren’t fire affected s:up
    Adam

squizz
    Participant

Just read Adam’s older post regarding the Ovens above Harrietville. Anyone been for a look in the last week. Hoping to get there for the long weekend if the river is reasonably clear. Any info appreciated

woody-wood
    Participant

Water was dark and muddy yesterday but had dropped height from the rain last week.
    It will take a good flush to clear up, but this will only wash more dirt and ash into the river. The fire also burnt into the headwaters of the Buckland but I havent heard how that is at the moment.

Scottie
    Participant

Drive over the Ovens near Wangaratta today.
    Did not look nice at all.
    Next season should be fine.

squizz
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback re the Ovens. I’ll delay my trip until Anzac day and then I’ll fish the Kiewa. Tough, but someone has to do it.

Twigman
    Participant

Squizz, the Ovens at Harreitville is clearing but you wouldn’t recognize the water clarity as a "typical north east" trout stream
    CMA got in above Bright just as the water was clearing and decided to do a bit of "restoration works" which turned it to a mud bath again.
    The Buckland wasn’t as badly affected according to some of the guys at work that were up there when the ovens went to mud so it may still be worth a look.
    Bear in mind that all the areas around the fire zones are quite possibly still closed, this included a lot of the state forests around Bright and Mt Beauty.
    The Ovens is probably best left alone, but don’t forget that there are quite a few tribs between harrietville and mytleford that were not affected that may be worth a look.
    I may be up the Kiewa way around then (when am I not……)
    Adam

squizz
    Participant

Thanks Adam. I’ll pull a sickie as planned on Friday 26th April and stay in Harrietville as I normally do over the 4 days. Sounds like there’ll still be plenty of undamaged water around. I’m keen to catch a fish as my last trip was the day the fire started and I was politely asked to leave on the Wednesday morning as things developed quickly and the area became dangerous.

Scottm
    Participant

I’ll be in bright next weekend. Any updates on conditions in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using the hunt and peck method of typing!

Philip Weigall
    Participant

I was up in the Myrtleford area for four days around the weekend before last (see my blog). The Ovens was still discoloured but the tributaries we fished were in perfect condition with reasonable numbers of trout and the Kiewa was very good too. As is typical at this time of year, the fish mostly seemed to be feeding best in the quieter water back from the runs and heads of the pools (in other words the opposite of summer) although we did get some nice fish patiently deep nymphing the drop-offs.

On the last day we heard the Ovens was clearing well up towards Bright but we ran out of time to confirm that (a return trip over to the Kiewa was too tempting!)

Hey Mate,

I was there last December and even though the fishing was reasonably slow compared to past years I got some great brownies from the Ovens, Buckland and Buffalo Rivers, and plenty of smaller rainbows.

Best flies of the week were Royal Wulffs and Green/Brown Hoppers for dries. The nymph I have had the most success on in that area even during tough times is a Prince Nymph with a red beadhead. It seems like a random choice for when the fish are being picky, but it has proven itself many times!

Have Fun!

Josh

Twigman
    Participant

If there is ANY significant rain (ie: greater than 5mm) the Ovens will dirty up very quickly, especially the upper reaches.
    Was working up at harrietville last week, the dirty water events seem to be becoming shorter in duration but we have only had reasonably small rain events lately.
    I have seen some photos of the east branch near bon accord and the valley floor is covered in about a foot of red mud/silt, with logs lying around everywhere. There are some rather large washouts in some of the feeder gullies as well.
    From what I have been told by other workmates the west ovens is in even worse shape than the east.
    As Phil said though, the trib streams may be fishing ok and running clear.
    Don’t disregard a stream based on it’s size in that catchment either 😉
    It’s interesting that you said the fishing was good on the Kiewa Phil, as the last 2 months or so have been pretty tough up there from our experience. maybe the cooler weather has brought them on a bit??
    Adam

Philip Weigall
    Participant

Adam it was by no means furious action on the Kiewa but plenty of fun and well worth the half hour drive over. We fished a few different stretches between Running Creek and Redbank on the Friday and again on the Monday. Friday 14.5 C & crystal clear; 15 C Monday with a tinge of colour (pondage works?) but easily clear enough. Level about perfect both days (guessing 400 mg/d). Good numbers of sippers in the usual places, although a little erratic so you had to be patient. We also pulled up a few nice browns around the 16" mark nymphing the deeper runs and drop-offs. Didn’t stay for evening either day but expect it would have been good. Hadn’t fished the Kiewa for a couple of months prior so can’t make any comparisons.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘Bright Region Fly choices?’ is closed to new replies.