Travel Talk Bright Region Fly choices?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Crazydog
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m heading to the Bright area Mid December. I have fished this area quite a lot and know the region very well. BUT I have only fished it with fly a couple of times and only ever used black bead head nymphs and parachutes.
    Wanting to diversify and use different flies. I do have a basic assortment of random flies, but would anyone have an Idea on what sort of flies I should look at getting for this time of year to hopefully increase my chances of a decent weekend? I know it is about matching the hatch, but even when I do see a hatch I rarely know what the insect is and what it’s matching fly is! :lol:
    Any ideas on what tends to hatch and catch around Mid December around this region and some suggested flies?

Regards.

gmc
    Participant

I reckon if you use a Royal Wulff with a black or brown nymph ( not a bead head) dropper you wouldnt go too far wrong. On dusk the fish may get a little more selective and maybe also have an elk hair caddis or two and then after dark go for a muddler minnow

neilmny
    Participant

Good choices for almost anywhere. s:up

ANDREW
    Participant

There will be a lot of green beetles in Alpine areas in December.
    Happens every year about this time of year, just like hoppers in autumn.
    Try flies like green humpy , green wulff or dr. wark, which is especially good choice if you decide to fish just with dry fly only.
    Hope this give you some more options or just more flies in your fly box, either way worth a try.

Andrew

Twigman
    Participant

Large brown beetles (xmas beetle imitations) #10’S, large stimmi’s in #6-10’s, rubber legged mayfly nymphs in #12-16, Geehi beetles in #10, brown parachute emergers in#12-14.
    There are already some hoppers starting to get about, another 4-6 weeks or so could see them in reasonable numbers.
    Be aware that water levels in the Ovens and it’s tribs are already quite low and very clear as there has been no significant rain to top them up
    The last few seasons the stoneflies have been quite prevalent towards the end of december in that region
    Adam

Crazydog
    Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have stocked up on a few of the mentioned. This season I am really trying to expand my knowledge of fly fishing so every little thing helps. Will certainly give a report and feedback when I’m back.

Regards.

Paul735
    Participant

Usually on the Ovens above Bright, if you wait till nearly dark the rise can be quite mental, i use a white wulff or similar mainly so i can see it in the fading light, i have hooked 10 fish in 10 mins often doing this, i did fish the ovens a few weeks back and it was quiet but there was a short rise on dark, usually in the faster water as well.

Crazydog
    Participant
    quote Paul735:

Usually on the Ovens above Bright, if you wait till nearly dark the rise can be quite mental, i use a white wulff or similar mainly so i can see it in the fading light, i have hooked 10 fish in 10 mins often doing this, i did fish the ovens a few weeks back and it was quiet but there was a short rise on dark, usually in the faster water as well.

Thanks mate, hopefully there will be a decent rise while we are there. Bound to get something decent in the 3 days we are there. When you were there did you find you mainly got rainbows? I was there for opening, and we only got 2 browns out of the 20 odd fish landed for the 3 days.

Paul735
    Participant

Yes 90% rainbows, and fiesty as well, but i got a 4lb brown some time ago, and a guy got a brown on bait behind the freeburg hall that he had to fold in half to fit in his esky.. Some big browns lurk but the rainbows dont usually give them a chance

squish
    Participant

A #12 Messy Wulff & #16 tungsten hares ear nymph dropper is normally my starting point up that way.

quote Crazydog:

…….This season I am really trying to expand my knowledge of fly fishing so every little thing helps.

If you are new-ish to flyfishing Scott, the best advice I can give is that a drag free drift is far more important than fly selection. A big generalisation yes, but if the fish is feeding, and you present something that looks like food in a natural “drag free” way – it will usually get eaten. Some days are not that simple, but more often than not, it comes down to your presentation, not the flies.

Cheers
    Darren

Crazydog
    Participant
    quote squish:

A #12 Messy Wulff & #16 tungsten hares ear nymph dropper is normally my starting point up that way.

quote Crazydog:

…….This season I am really trying to expand my knowledge of fly fishing so every little thing helps.

If you are new-ish to flyfishing Scott, the best advice I can give is that a drag free drift is far more important than fly selection. A big generalisation yes, but if the fish is feeding, and you present something that looks like food in a natural “drag free” way – it will usually get eaten. Some days are not that simple, but more often than not, it comes down to your presentation, not the flies.

Cheers
    Darren

Drag free drift and presentation is something I have worked on a lot, and now that I have a very good 2# combo it has helped a lot. The difference between my old average gear and my new great gear has helped me a lot I have found.
    Thanks for the advice.

Goody1971
    Participant

Hey fellas, thought I would bump this thread instead of starting a new one…I will be heading up to Porepunkah at the end of April for week, and wondering if there were any other patterns or techniques likely to be succesful at that time of year in addition to the ideas already offered above?

thanks, Goody

Twigman
    Participant

It will be pretty much dependent on water levels are like and whether or not there is any significant rain in the upper catchment.
    The fire has crept in to the upper buckland by the look of it and pretty much the whole upper ovens catchment above harrietville is burnt out, any significant rain will have silt and ash coming down the river and will make it pretty well a write off.
    If there is no significant rain the water levels will be low, the fishing during the day may be hard work. try the more overgown sections of stream where the fish have more cover and depth and you should do ok. Worst case scenario do the family thing during the day and then fish early mornings and late eveings for the best results.
    Hope this helps
    Adam

Goody1971
    Participant

Thanks Adam – sounds like I might need to hunt out a few alternative options to the Ovens & Buckland rivers.

Cheers, Goody

Twigman
    Participant

Ovens River has had significant rain, turning it very, very turbid
    Probably best to give it a miss for at least a week at this stage, possibly more depending how much more rain we get.
    Adam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘Bright Region Fly choices?’ is closed to new replies.