Talking Tactics Bream on fly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mitchmcm
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am expanding my targets slowly and am looking at targeting bream. I have given it a few tries so far but I havent had much success. Im located on the Surf Coast in Victoria but frequently make it to the river further west around Warrnambool like the Hopkins and Curdies.

Im wondering what flies, lines and retreives everyone is using. I have been using BMS’s mainly but im not sure if i should be using hammer heads of bead head versions.

Any help would be great.

Kind Regards,

Mitch

JC2
    Participant

Black and Silver Bream on the wee foam hopper tied by Dave Blackman (Bfishin) is the go. High tide in St George’s Basin or where sand flats run up to a shaded bank. Cast to the bank and two small strips then a long pause…. they usually take it on the pause.

33BC745B-B308-4214-B401-783EF7A191E0

.A44E62DE-3EDC-40F9-8A09-58BA3B93A018

swanie
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Anthony Cole
    Participant

Hi Mitch

A four or five weight with a floating line. Short sharp strips followed by pauses (long and short)…long slow strips, followed by pauses, they love to take on the pause. mix it up. Old school flies like small crazy charlies have done the damage on many Surf Coast Bream for me in years gone by. I used to hammer all the estuaries in this region and by far the most productive was Spring creek in Torquay, particularly after rain. The dirtier the better.

Regards Anthony

Pheonix
    Participant

I fish some of the Surfcoast streams.

Get in touch with Chris Beech.

Black Bream don’t seem to have any problem with taking his saltwater patterns.

Cheers,

Albert.

oldpiscator
    Participant

Hi Mitch

A four or five weight with a floating line. Short sharp strips followed by pauses (long and short)…long slow strips, followed by pauses, they love to take on the pause. mix it up. Old school flies like small crazy charlies have done the damage on many Surf Coast Bream for me in years gone by. I used to hammer all the estuaries in this region and by far the most productive was Spring creek in Torquay, particularly after rain. The dirtier the better.

Regards Anthony

Anthony is the man – lots of local experience there.

flylife

Most of the gun black bream flymos incorporate little stinger hooks in the tails of their larger baitfish and prawn/shrimp/Clouser patterns. Very effective in Tassie and the NSW/VIC Sapphire Coast region in my experience. And yes, the retrieve pause seems to be when they like to eat (or at least pluck at the tail of the fly).

thommo227
    Participant

Just started specifically targeting bream on flies. In Coffs for Xmas & have nabbed 2 small ones so far on a Steve Peach bream shrimp fly – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0jRad-2ehM

I didn’t have all the same materials as him, but improvised and they seem to work ok.

Got one on the stinger hook, one on the main hook.  10ft leader, 4lb Vanish tippet, 6wt 9ft Orvis with floating bright yellow trout line.

PeachyShrimpFlies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.