Tackle Talk Belt rod holder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Sbendle2017
    Participant

Am thinking of a rod holder for hands free fly changing etc.

does anyone use a Smiths Creek Rod Clip or a O’Pro 3rd Hand Rod Holder?

I can’t find anything to compare them.

thanks in advance

oldpiscator
    Participant

I have both but find the O’Pro much more versatile if you use a belt. The Smith’s doesn’t need a belt but only holds the rod vertically whilst the O’Pro can be adjusted to different angles.

DrGraham
    Participant

Like oldpiscator, I have both.  The O’Pro can be adjusted to different angles but at times can be fiddly to adjust.  It’s OK if you are standing still, e.g. while changing flies, but if you start moving then the rod tip swings around as well.  I’ve crashed the rod tip into the water and ground when bending over to deal with a fish in the net.  I’ve had the rod pointing behind me which then crashed into bushes and trees behind in restricted space because subtle body movement swings the rod tip in a wider arc.  The rod always hangs vertically and out of the way with Smith Creek holder due to the weight of the reel.  There’s no moving parts in the Smith Creek, or than the attached zinger, whereas my O’Pro is showing wear after a couple of seasons.  As a subscriber to the KISS principle, I’ve gone back to just using the Smith Creek holder.

oldpiscator
    Participant

You should be aware that the pin on the Smith Ck holder is relatively weak which has resulted in the loss of one for me.

Sbendle2017
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I was after.
    Great to have a place to go to to ask these questions.

stephen

DrGraham
    Participant

Oldpiscator, thanks for the warning about the pin.  I’ll keep an eye on it.

Sbendle2017, you’re most welcome.

Reel Deal
    Participant

I’ve never used either but I am curious about the Smith Creek. As the rod hangs vertically when using the Smith Creek does the fly line not fall back through the guides towards the reel? That would drive me nuts if it did!

oldpiscator
    Participant

As long as some of the flyline is outside the tiptop there is no problem.

ANDREW
    Participant

I have an old version of OPro but new one looks like a huge upgrade.

Try this with Smith Creek Rod Holder ( and lets be honest, its is just a clip )

bpmick
    Participant

Nice need 3

Chris
    Participant

I have 2 of the smith creeks – one on a bum bag & the other on a chest pack.  Haven’t used the Orvis and wouldn’t change from the SC.  Very handy.  Never had an issue with the pin, but it is light on.  A few other zinger choices if I need to replace.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.