Travel Talk Autumn – Vic Tips – Ballarat & High Country

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

madpie
    Participant

G’Day People,

I’m coming to Vic for a week and I’ve managed to snag some time to do some fishing amongst family stuff. I was hoping people could answer me a couple of questions.

1. Ballarat – I’ve probably got a morning I can sneak out for a couple of hours. Is it worth it trying to get up have a quick fish in the morning around Ballarat? Locations? Any advice on tackle, flies etc? Is it cold enough to need waders?
    2. High Country – I staying at Bright & Anglers Rest for a couple of days each. Locations? Any advice on tackle, flies etc? Is it cold enough to need waders?

I’ll be taking my 4wt & tenkara with me. I normally fish pretty light. Just not sure if I need my full waders or not. Obviously, its all more to pack.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

madpie

micmac3701
    Participant

Can only answer for #2

Water temps are coming down but if its a fine day wet wading is still comfortable through the day, evening rises not such a big thing this time of year. Mornings might be a tad chilly. So depend when you plan on getting on the water.

Rocks will be slick with summer algae so good boots essential.

https://livedata.mdba.gov.au/hinnomunjie

Anglers rest is well upstream from this gauge so you can knock off a degree at least and flows should be low but okay.

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

If you’re in Ballarat you can have some excellent fishing in Lake Wendoree.Mayflies are on the menu this time of the year,so your usual Dun patterns and the ever reliable brown nymph should reward you for your efforts.

madpie
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. Can I fish from the bank at Lake Wendoree?

madpie
    Participant

Thanks mate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.