Travel Talk Australian Fly Fishing Museum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ronb
    Participant

Finally  managed a trip over to Tasmania and one of the places that I was very keen to visit was the Australian Fly Fishing Museum at Nile. I  was disappointed to find it closed with no sign of it reopening.
    Does anyone know what is happening with it?

Moderator 1
    Keymaster

From their Facebook page

Screenshot_2021-03-26-1-Australian-Fly-Fishing-Museum-Facebook

No mention of reopening times as yet

Chris Beech
    Participant

I turned up a few years ago and it was closed as well.

BarryJ
    Participant

Outside of covid (and other) restrictions, it is operated by volunteers and if there isn’t a volunteer available on any given day, it won’t open unfortunately.

ronb
    Participant

There was a contact number on the sign in the car park, which I rang and spoke to a very nice bloke , who said the museum was part of Clarendon House which was closed. He said the contact number was supposed to have been removed from the sign and there was no indication if or when the museum would re open.
    If the museum was not to re open I was wondering what would happen to the display items, some of which I guess are irreplaceable. Would the museum at the Salmon Ponds be a viable option?

taupofish
    Participant

The museum at Salmon Ponds is a first class operation and as well as displays there are the fish ponds and cafe all in a great garden setting – well worth a visit to see some of the history of where trout were first established

DrGraham
    Participant

I concur with taupofish, Salmon Ponds is the place to visit.  It’s the home of Australian trout fishing.  There’s plenty to see in the museum and Hall of Fame.  It’s a beautiful location, and open everyday except Christmas Day.

flylife

I think it is a North v South thing (only known to Tasmanian natives) because the Salmon Ponds always seemed the logical location for such material.

BarryJ
    Participant

I think it’s also partly due to the limited space available at Salmon Ponds for display of the items.

ronb
    Participant

We did visit the Salmon Ponds and thoroughly enjoyed it, it is an excellent facility. I can understand that it would be difficult to add any more display items to the fishing museum as it looks quite full. It would be great  if it was possible to find another existing  building that is suitable, or perhaps construct another building without detracting from the existing surroundings.
    It seems a shame to have all those fly fishing items locked away at Nile without anyone being able to enjoy them. It would also be a tragedy if any of  these items were to be lost.

mountainman
    Participant

Are the Salmon Ponds open at the moment? Did they recover from this fish kill?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-29/plenty-river-salmon-ponds-pollution-fish-kill/12708252

BarryJ
    Participant

While the fish kill was a catastrophic event, it was mostly fry/fingerlings which were killed. The Ponds are operating under “Covid normal” conditions.

https://salmonponds.com.au/

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

It seems a shame to have all those fly fishing items locked away at Nile without anyone being able to enjoy them. It would also be a tragedy if any of these items were to be lost.

hopefully no one tells edwin rist.

Kym
    Participant

hopefully no one tells edwin rist.

If anyone can find a way into the building, Edwin’s your man. Just listen for the sound of his distant flute

mountainman
    Participant

I hope he’s playing some Jethro Tull..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.