Flies & Fly Tying Adrian’s Roughy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

The Roughy was originally developed by Adrian Weir in the late eighties in Horsham. I’m not too sure if it was inspired by a bottle of good red or the insatiable instincts of a hunter, but never the less it proved to be inspired genius! To say it was a success in those early days was an understatement, and for the privileged few that were privy to this revelation, it was a closely held secret for many years.

The Roughy although originally designed for the numerous waters around Horsham including Toolondo, Wartook and Fyans, soon proved to be effective wherever it was used, including Tassie, Eucumbene and of course over the Ditch.

To look at it, One may ask what it is supposed to represent?The  best that I am able to come up with is nothing in particular and everything in general, depending how its fished, the Roughy often  gets the job done when all else fails

From a fly tyers point of view, colour, proportion, profile are  paramount in order to get the trouts attention. Often flies that are suggestive,rather than imitative can cover a broader range of potential  food,and this is where the Roughy just screams “come and get me”

P5040009-2

flylife

I’m thinking it’s niche would be similar to the deadly black Woolly Worm (an incredibly versatile wet) and/or Girdle Bug (one of Mark Cloutier’s early season favourites – see FL#103 – oh I forgot, it’s not on sale yet).🙂

DrGraham
    Participant

Phoenix Bird, completely agree with your comment about shape and profile, or GISS (general impression of size and shape).  This fly has a typical insect shape, small head, medium thorax, large abdomen.  It looks very “buggy” – “eat me”.  I’m turning to more simple basic flies with the right GISS and I’m landing a lot more fish.

ronb
    Participant

Interesting looking fly James. Was wondering what materials are used , how it is tied, and how would you go about fishing it?

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

Ron,only two materials required.Black Chenille and Church Window feathers from a pheasant.  It would take too long to type in instructions here as there is a fair bit of technique involved.However I would be happy to verbally run through the process for anyone who wishes to private message me their phone number.

ronb
    Participant

Thanks James, that is very generous of you. I will send a PM.

ronb
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.