Tackle Talk A new boo?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Nog
    Participant

Nog, hope you don’t mind this advice. I own and fish three bamboo rods in the 7′ 6″ four to five weight range. Such a rod is best suited to dry fly, unweighted nymph and wee wet fishing (I almost exclusively fish dry fly). If I want to drift a small bead head nymph through a deeper stretch I usually do so without an indicator. I use my bamboo rods on Southern Tasmanian streams which are heavily overgrown and they are second to none for such purposes. They present the fly with great delicacy and will make all sorts of casts that are difficult to replicate with graphite. Sounds as though you are after a rod which will load up well for short casts. I would recommend one with a medium full progressive or semi-parabolic action. Familiarisation takes some time, but once you get there, you will have become a better fisherman.

Many thanks for the advice PT, I’m keen to look at a more “medium full progressive” action rod.  I have wiggled a few  bamboos at Gatherings and snapped MRampants :), he doesn’t return my calls anymore.

@Callum
    if only you told me this a month or so ago whne I wa sin Jindy 🙂

I’d like to wiggle @JC2 s boo but there is always the risk that Freddie will be there…..

The searhc will continue until I find a maker/rod that fits the bill.

callum
    Participant

Nog,

Having made rods for over 20 years, there are always quite a few on hand to have a cast of (and few pics/details on the web site).

Cheers,

Callum

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

nog, send me an email [email protected]

I’m having the sale of the sanctuary.

all mods.

Nog
    Participant

nog, send me an email [email protected]

I’m having the sale of the sanctuary.

all mods.

This is very worrying, first the tying gear, missing a Gathering and now selling your boo!!!!

Do you have a new mistress?

Recidivist13
    Participant

You could always come over and make one 🤣

Nog
    Participant

Have you seen my work?  Obviously not, but intriguing idea.

Set the form up for a Payne 101H please

Recidivist13
    Participant

Have you seen my work? Obviously not, but intriguing idea.

Set the form up for a Payne 101H please

I’ll look it up for no’s 3

Nog
    Participant

Still playing with this stupid idea.  Bwendan  has made one and now I’ve got a bad dose of FOMO.

I’ve been emailing Bamboo Australia about getting some Tonkin cane, but I have no idea on how to pick a quality culm.

He has some in 45-50mm and when locdown ends I’ll pop up and have a look.

Is there ny resource on the net that tells you what to look for. I haven’t anyhting useful yet

Cheers

Norm

Recidivist13
    Participant

when LD is over, come over and I’ll show you the cane from bamboo Australia, you might get a cast of the 4wt SirD if your lucky.

back home in 2 weeks

chf
    Participant

If I can offer an amateurs thoughts ?

Picking quality isn’t too hard to do , but is hard to describe  … the we all “know it when we see it” probably applies to culms also…so straightness , integrity of enamel , straw colour , heft or weight , ~ 2 inch diameter ,seem to be the main deciders before you can actually cut it and look at it in cross section ( usually have to buy it first to do that ) .

It’s maybe not such a bad thing to use material for your learning curve that your not going to cry over when you bugger it up (and  we’ve all done that !) and so perhaps you don’t want to be starting out on learning splitting/roughing/straighteneing on the pick of the bale .

There is plenty on the internet , but as Nick Taransky says at his class it’s almost impossible to tell which are the opinions you should listen to until you’ve gotten a bit of experience yourself . Have a search through these , which all have some really good info ;

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com

http://www.powerfibers.com

http://www.rodmakers.eu

http://classicflyrodforum.com

Nog
    Participant

Thanks @chf. I’ll take your advice and jump into the deep end.

JC2
    Participant

Give up the Boo and just use your hand.

Much cheaper and you will catch a few. Take Simone on a holiday instead.

Nog
    Participant

Take Simone on a holiday instead.

That’s exactly why I’m not at this years Gathering….. At least there’ll be a few Bows in the Greenstone

mrampant
    Participant

Norm if you are wanting to make a 4-5 weight rod under 8 feet any piece of tonkin will service the rod effectively. On the other hand if you want to make a 10 weight; well that is another story, as you are well aware!

If you have any questions let me know, and we can chat.

Cheers,

Mark

Nog
    Participant

Norm if you are wanting to make a 4-5 weight rod under 8 feet any piece of tonkin will service the rod effectively.
    If you have any questions let me know, and we can chat.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Damn Mark, you caught me out

Just finishing up a little project rod to see what all the fuss about boo is.  Bought a bamboo Payne 100 kit from a dodgy Ebay site for a few hundy.

So far so good, not the best quality but heartened by your comments.

Should finish the build by next week and see how she goes.

Cheers and thanks for the cha toffer, will take you up on it

Nog

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.