Tackle Talk A new boo?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Nog
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about grass for a while as I get into this spotted feral stuff more and more.

The majority of my stream fishing seems to be nymph under dry like as I expect most folks do.

The problem I have is my 5 wts seem to be too fast to delivery a decent cast (and I totally agree I’m a crap short distanc ecaster) in close with a 3mm tungsten hanging off the end.

Would a reasonably punchy bamboo rod suit this situation, 7′ 6″ 4/5  weight?

P.S.  This is actually just an excuse to kick-start the COVID comeback by spending stupid money

Gerard
    Participant

I like your thinking (re: ‘spending stupid money’) … but the additional weight of bamboo might be a disadvantage.

How about a nice glass rod ?

Busy with CTS … – FlyLife Magazine

chf
    Participant

Sure ….

Bamboo’s big advantage is its ability to make a rod in a taper that will suit a variety of casting styles ,  techniques and waters . Fast taper ,Slow taper , short cast ,long cast , small dries ,heavy flies … though the do it all taper usually compromises on some scenarios .

Weight isnt really an issue imho for a below rod below 8 feet , and modern makers who hollow build have some pretty impressive rods for trout out to 8’6”.

Among other things I like bamboo for Eurostyle nymphing in miniature for small streams and also dry n dropper and dry only  . Imho for small snaggy waters ‘boo has real short casting & short distance fighting advantages & the dry n dropper style lets you regulate depth where bottom snags are a hazard .Glass fans can make similar claims .

There are some really good local makers too who should let you cast a few to let you find what sort you like . Nick Taransky makes a lovley rod and brings a bunch of rods for test casting , and has in the past sent a selection of demo rods by courier for people to try out .

Once you’ve tried one though ….you might end up really kickstarting the economy😊

woody-wood
    Participant

Nog,

you should have won Boris’s donated bamboo rod at the Gathering.

Either that or push DC out of the way when Milan was handing it out. I cast the rod at the Gathering and it was sweeeeeeet!!!

luvnat
    Participant

Hello Nog,

I have a nice bamboo 5WT 7/12 ft with 2 tips.

Its a US made Copperjohn.Metal rod tube with brass caps and nice rod bag.

Hardly used at all.Also has ferrule protection plugs.

If interested can send photos,

Cheers,

Luvnat.

Nog
    Participant

Nog,

Either that or push DC out of the way when Milan was handing it out. I cast the rod at the Gathering and it was sweeeeeeet!!!

You think I didn’t try? Even the old, “OMG is that flying saucer”, trick didn’t work

Nog
    Participant

I like your thinking (re: ‘spending stupid money’) … but the additional weight of bamboo might be a disadvantage.

How about a nice glass rod ?

Busy with CTS … – FlyLife Magazine

A mate of mine has an 8″ 5wt Epic and it’s an absolute dog in short.

Nog
    Participant

@luvnat

That’s be great if you could send through  a few piccies.  Any idea on the taper?

Norm

callum
    Participant

Nog,

Not sure where you are located (and it is getting late in the season), but if anyone is ever around Jindabyne, I am more than happy to make a range of bamboo rods available for a cast.

Cheers,

Callum

luvnat
    Participant

Bamboo-Fly-Rod-8

luvnat
    Participant

Hello Nog,

Cant work out photos on this system.Can I have your mobile number and I will sms them?

Will send details on rod bit later,

Phillip,

No pressure

Nog
    Participant

04twothree 202 eightone eight

PT48
    Participant

Nog, hope you don’t mind this advice. I own and fish three bamboo rods in the 7′ 6″ four to five weight range. Such a rod is best suited to dry fly, unweighted nymph and wee wet fishing (I almost exclusively fish dry fly). If I want to drift a small bead head nymph through a deeper stretch I usually do so without an indicator. I use my bamboo rods on Southern Tasmanian streams which are heavily overgrown and they are second to none for such purposes. They present the fly with great delicacy and will make all sorts of casts that are difficult to replicate with graphite. Sounds as though you are after a rod which will load up well for short casts. I would recommend one with a medium full progressive or semi-parabolic action. Familiarisation takes some time, but once you get there, you will have become a better fisherman.

Chief
    Participant

Go play with Jeff’s he has many and boo is about all he uses.  Best I played with was a 7′ 5wt Sir D by Boris.  Talk to Jnr re Sweetgrass is you want to spend big.  Naturally Boris but also Dave Blackman are worth a chat.

dctrout
    Participant

Nog,

You think I didn’t try? Even the old, “OMG is that flying saucer”, trick didn’t work

I didn’t have the nicknames of “Elbows” and “Brute” for nothing back in my Aussie Rules days of the eighties and I certainly took down bigger blokes than Nog.As you well remember Woody it was a different game back then especially in local footy.

By the way the rod is sweet as Bro.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.