Casting & Competition 2021 Australian Casting Season

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Castingsport
    Participant

Hi All,

Last Saturday evening Southern Fly Fishers hosted the Southern Lights Fly Casting tournament at their casting pool and clubrooms in Highett, Melbourne. As has been the case in previous years, this event under lights, is the first event in a busy year of casting, comprising State and National Championships, Club Open Championships, Inter club events like the Brunn Shield and the Turville Shield, The Australian Casting Academy tuition days and selection trials for World Championship teams.

The best casting venue in the country just got better, with the Southern Fly Fishers casting pool being resurfaced in early March. It looked great, well done to the club, members and volunteers.

The Southern Lights was won by Bruce Ratcliffe in very difficult weather. Rain bucketed down for most of the night, and only two of the three events were completed. Great to see some old and new faces at the event. Corey Heath, who placed second, made a 600 km plus trip from western Victoria to enjoy the event. Both Bruce and Corey have represented Australia at World Casting Championships in the past and I’m sure, will be working hard to gain selection whenever the world opens up for casting events in the future.

The year also comprises a number of Southern Cross Challenge events in which 5 weight lines and 8 weight lines are used for accuracy and distance, respectively. The Southern Cross event also consists of a light line two handed event.

A four tiered grading structure applies in State and National Championships, so all levels of experience are catered for.

The next fly casting event is the Southern Open and Southern Cross Challenge event at Highett on Sunday, 28th March, starting at 9:30 am.

Let’s hope we all get through 2021 without the Covid impacts suffered during 2020, here and worldwide.

Stay safe and enjoy casting,

John Waters

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Thanks for the comprehensive update John!

I help run an introductive Learn to Flyfish course three times a year, and one of the areas I try to touch on is competitive casting as well as competitive fishing and just plain old wading around creeks in the back blocks. The idea is to give people new to the sport some idea just how wide ranging the scope of fly fishing is these days. This is precisely the sort of thing it is good to have a handle on.

Nice work, heres hoping you folks have a good season.

Cheers…Jimmy

Castingsport
    Participant

Thanks Jimmy, I enjoy reading your club’s newsletters on your website. Always a good read. Your latest had some photos of a casting tuition session, great to see. Fly fishing has a myriad of special interest categories, each of which makes the sport richer. I do a bit of tournament casting and found what I have learnt at the casting pool or casting court certainly puts my fly in the fish zone, more often. Might not catch them but there is always another cast that might. I suppose that sums it up for me, the anticipation of the next strike.

Must get over to Tassie later this year, I hope your club has a great year. If I can offer any assistance, just give me a yell.

Best wishes and stay safe,

John

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Hell Yeah!!

Sing out when you are headed this way John and we can put together a guest speaker spot for you and most likely a casting session with some of the FFCT crew. Then we can go fishing somewhere fun. I do so enjoy interesting guests at the Skyranch.

I really must remind myself occasionally that all sorts of people read that newsletter…

Cheers…Jimmy

Castingsport
    Participant

Thanks Jimmy, very kind of you. I’ll be in Tassie in September for some casting, so we can catch up. More than happy to spend a day with your members to talk about casting. I never fail to learn something about my casting on every such occasion. I’ll email you when I get organised.

Best wishes,

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.