Casting & Competition 2020 Australian Casting Federation event season

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Castingsport
    Participant

The Australian Casting Federation’s fly casting season starts 5:00pm, 7th March 2020 with Australia’s premier tournament under lights, the Southern Lights Fly Casting event at Southern Fly Fishers Casting pool and clubrooms, Turner rd., Highett, Melbourne. It comprises 21 events plus State, National and World Championships between March and September. The Southern Lights tournament comprises 4 fly casting events, Dry Fly Accuracy, ICSF Skish Fly Accuracy, ACF Skish Fly Accuracy and Wet Fly Accuracy. All events are conducted on water and each event replicates the casting scenarios encountered in any fly fishing situation eg. sighting the fly to measure line length, line extension and retrieval during false casting, pickup and laydown casts, dry fly, roll casting and wet fly presentation plus specific accuracy and distance challenges. Fly casting is great under lights and there is no better venue for either day or night fly accuracy and distance casting than the Southern Fly Fishers casting pool and surrounds. A few of us will be there from 1:00pm to throw some fly distance events in preparation for State, National and World Championships later this year and anyone is welcome to come along for a chat about their fly casting or have a practice cast with us. Casting sport is both friendly and engaging, and all casters are happy to share thoughts on gear and technique or, any other aspect of fly fishing and casting. After all is said and done, it is all about putting your fly over the fish, at both short and long distances, with a minimum of false casts.

Castingsport
    Participant

A number of other ACF affiliated club fly casting events are happening in the next three months in Melbourne, namely

The Southern Open Fly Casting event is hosted by Southern Fly Fishers at their Highett casting pool on 29th March 2020. This is a fly accuracy event comprising 4 different fly casting challenges.

The Sunshine Open Fly Casting event is hosted by the Sunshine Fly Casting Club is set for 19th April 2020 and is held at the Red Tag casting pool in Fairfield

The Cock o’ the Walk Fly Accuracy event will be held on 26th April 2020 at Fairfield, a great knock out competition pairing casters of same or similar gradings

The 1st round of the Brunn Shield is hosted by Red Tag Fly Fishers at their Fairfield casting pool on 3rd May . Rounds 2, 3 and 4 will be held in June, July and August 2020.

In conjunction with the above events, each day will host a Southern Cross Fly Casting Challenge event at the same venue, starting mid afternoon on the same day. This event comprises a 5 weight accuracy, a 5 weight distance, a saltwater distance (8 or 9 weight shooting head) and a 55 gram line two handed distance event. Fishing casts using fishing gear and a lot of fun.

The Red Tag Open Fly Casting event will be held at Fairfield on 17th May 2020. This event is conducted concurrently with the Herb Jenkins memorial event. Herb Jenkins was a long standing competitor with, and administrator of, Australian fly casting, a Life Member of both the Red Tag Fly Fishers and the Australian Casting Federation and is remembered fondly by all who knew him. He was a super fly caster and was winning events when I started fly fishing and casting. Herb was a pioneer in underlining rods for accuracy casting (50’s and 60’s) and was a caster whom I aspired to emulate.

The original and the current Red Tag casting pools have a long and distinguished involvement with Australian fly casting, hosting international, national, state, inter club and club events. I have fond memories of my initial visit as a wide eyed 16 year old fly fisho who wanted to improve his casting and catch a trout on a fly. Fifty four years later I am still trying to get better at both.

Looking forward to an exciting year of fly casting,

John

Castingsport
    Participant

A terrific casting evening, at the 2020 Southern Fly Fishers Southern Lights Fly Casting event last night. Casters representing Southern, Geelong, Calder, Ballarat, Sunshine and Red Tag Fly Fishing Clubs enjoyed the evening casting under lights. Great to see the new casters enjoying a cast and doing so well. I must apologise to a number casters who could not attend due to the long weekend in Melbourne. Given the number of events on the syllabus this year, weekends were at a premium, but I will do a better job of scheduling events for 2021 and avoid any class with a long weekend.

Looking forward to future events,

John

Castingsport
    Participant

I wish to advise that all Australian Casting Federation events scheduled for March, April and May 2020 have been postponed. The Executive Committee will consider options for the remainder of the season and will advise accordingly. Please follow all advice from authorities and stay safe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.