Casting & Competition 2020 Australian Casting Federation event season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Castingsport
    Participant

The Australian Casting Federation’s fly casting season starts 5:00pm, 7th March 2020 with Australia’s premier tournament under lights, the Southern Lights Fly Casting event at Southern Fly Fishers Casting pool and clubrooms, Turner rd., Highett, Melbourne. It comprises 21 events plus State, National and World Championships between March and September. The Southern Lights tournament comprises 4 fly casting events, Dry Fly Accuracy, ICSF Skish Fly Accuracy, ACF Skish Fly Accuracy and Wet Fly Accuracy. All events are conducted on water and each event replicates the casting scenarios encountered in any fly fishing situation eg. sighting the fly to measure line length, line extension and retrieval during false casting, pickup and laydown casts, dry fly, roll casting and wet fly presentation plus specific accuracy and distance challenges. Fly casting is great under lights and there is no better venue for either day or night fly accuracy and distance casting than the Southern Fly Fishers casting pool and surrounds. A few of us will be there from 1:00pm to throw some fly distance events in preparation for State, National and World Championships later this year and anyone is welcome to come along for a chat about their fly casting or have a practice cast with us. Casting sport is both friendly and engaging, and all casters are happy to share thoughts on gear and technique or, any other aspect of fly fishing and casting. After all is said and done, it is all about putting your fly over the fish, at both short and long distances, with a minimum of false casts.

Castingsport
    Participant

A number of other ACF affiliated club fly casting events are happening in the next three months in Melbourne, namely

The Southern Open Fly Casting event is hosted by Southern Fly Fishers at their Highett casting pool on 29th March 2020. This is a fly accuracy event comprising 4 different fly casting challenges.

The Sunshine Open Fly Casting event is hosted by the Sunshine Fly Casting Club is set for 19th April 2020 and is held at the Red Tag casting pool in Fairfield

The Cock o’ the Walk Fly Accuracy event will be held on 26th April 2020 at Fairfield, a great knock out competition pairing casters of same or similar gradings

The 1st round of the Brunn Shield is hosted by Red Tag Fly Fishers at their Fairfield casting pool on 3rd May . Rounds 2, 3 and 4 will be held in June, July and August 2020.

In conjunction with the above events, each day will host a Southern Cross Fly Casting Challenge event at the same venue, starting mid afternoon on the same day. This event comprises a 5 weight accuracy, a 5 weight distance, a saltwater distance (8 or 9 weight shooting head) and a 55 gram line two handed distance event. Fishing casts using fishing gear and a lot of fun.

The Red Tag Open Fly Casting event will be held at Fairfield on 17th May 2020. This event is conducted concurrently with the Herb Jenkins memorial event. Herb Jenkins was a long standing competitor with, and administrator of, Australian fly casting, a Life Member of both the Red Tag Fly Fishers and the Australian Casting Federation and is remembered fondly by all who knew him. He was a super fly caster and was winning events when I started fly fishing and casting. Herb was a pioneer in underlining rods for accuracy casting (50’s and 60’s) and was a caster whom I aspired to emulate.

The original and the current Red Tag casting pools have a long and distinguished involvement with Australian fly casting, hosting international, national, state, inter club and club events. I have fond memories of my initial visit as a wide eyed 16 year old fly fisho who wanted to improve his casting and catch a trout on a fly. Fifty four years later I am still trying to get better at both.

Looking forward to an exciting year of fly casting,

John

Castingsport
    Participant

A terrific casting evening, at the 2020 Southern Fly Fishers Southern Lights Fly Casting event last night. Casters representing Southern, Geelong, Calder, Ballarat, Sunshine and Red Tag Fly Fishing Clubs enjoyed the evening casting under lights. Great to see the new casters enjoying a cast and doing so well. I must apologise to a number casters who could not attend due to the long weekend in Melbourne. Given the number of events on the syllabus this year, weekends were at a premium, but I will do a better job of scheduling events for 2021 and avoid any class with a long weekend.

Looking forward to future events,

John

Castingsport
    Participant

I wish to advise that all Australian Casting Federation events scheduled for March, April and May 2020 have been postponed. The Executive Committee will consider options for the remainder of the season and will advise accordingly. Please follow all advice from authorities and stay safe.

Castingsport
    Participant

Given the current community restrictions and in consideration of the health of members and competitors, the Australian Casting Federation wishes to advise that all events listed on the the 2020 ACF casting syllabus have been cancelled. We had postponed events up to 31st May 2020 to later in the year but it is now appropriate that the entire season be cancelled. Thank you to all who support the ACF and casting sport, stay safe, and I look forward to seeing everyone at a casting event in 2021.

John Waters

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Hi John, Thats a shame about the 2020 season but understandable. I have question which you might be able to help me with.

During a  few conversations with some interested parties, the question was asked about how the practical exams for those pursuing CCI acreditation will likely be managed in the near future. I dont think there is anyone down here in Tassie doing them but I stand to be corrected of course. Can you shed any light on the question or point me in the right direction perhaps?

Regards..Jimmy

Wet
    Participant

Hi Jimmy, I think you might have confused the ACF with the FFI (Fly Fishers International). Yes its a shame that the competition casting was cancelled.

The FFI testing event that was scheduled for October has been postponed, the date is yet to be fixed, however it’s likely to be rescheduled for the same time next year. If your on Facebook, search for FFI Australia and follow or like the page to receive updates. I believe that you’re in Tassie, there are several CI’s in Tassie. In the south are two of the most active, Wayne Bellette and Adrian Scott, they run casting sessions each week during the warmer months. You could use the following link to find others https://flyfishersinternational.org/Resources/Locate-Members/Casting-Instructors There are quite a few instructors now across the country and we’re only too happy to help.If you need any more information feel free to email me [email protected]

Castingsport
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Thanks Wet, I knew all along that my targeting was a bit wayward, but I figured that folks involved in comp casting would likely know and be willing to pass on some direction. Additionally I rightly guessed that the good old forum would probably come to the rescue once again. So now I have some contacts to chase down, which is great.

Thanks for the info, I will pass that along to some curious mates. The CCI is  sadly going to languish on my to-do list for a bit longer it seems. Things are a bit challenging just at the moment.

Regards…Jimmy

Castingsport
    Participant

Have sent a PR Jimmy, best wishes with your casting.

John Waters

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Ummm… I think maybe Casting Sport has sent himself a PM.  Nice try though, and quite understandable… we used to do that sort of thing all the time. I sent myself several in a row when the new format kicked into gear. Then I blew up about 3 threads one after another.

Mr. Mod will maybe fill in the details once he raises his forehead off the keyboard he just headbutted for the umpteenth time. Woody used to keep score but he gave up at a hundred I think.

Like I said… Nice try John      Cheers…J

Mitta
    Blocked

Ummm… I think maybe Casting Sport has sent himself a PM. Nice try though, and quite understandable… we used to do that sort of thing all the time . . .

Ha ha ha! This is so much ‘fun’ . . . is it not? Someone should call in the ‘Fun Police’.

I sincerely (I mean sincerely) hope that this platform is something for which a fee is not being paid.

A pot stirring Mitta.

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

Ummm…

…………

Mr. Mod will maybe fill in the details once he raises his forehead off the keyboard he just headbutted for the umpteenth time. Woody used to keep score but he gave up at a hundred I think.

Like I said… Nice try John Cheers…J

There is a PERMANENT reminder beside the Private Response button that only the thread originator can see PR’s so I no longer feel the need to point it out to users. 🙄

Mitta
    Blocked

C’mon Jimmy, lift ya game, will ya?

You and others shooda known that . . . jeez . . . 😂 😂

Louise

Castingsport
    Participant

After an informative email from Flylife about the options available for private responses, I can see where I mucked up with my PR, above.

Anyway, am back doing some casting training here in Victoria. Although all Australian Casting Federation events have been cancelled for the remainder of 2020, it is great to be allowed get out and have a cast with a few mates again.

Went to the Red Tag casting pool in Fairfield, Melbourne on Saturday and did some fly accuracy, distance and two handed casting and filming and a few blokes turned up for a chat, a cup of tea and a cast. Gotta’ get the priorities right and observe social distancing, but it was good to get a few loops to straighten after the recent restrictions were relaxed.

Have a stay in hospital this week so will have to put the gear away for this weekend but am looking forward to doing some casting training at either the Red Tag pool or Southern Fly Fishers pool over subsequent Saturdays. My results last Saturday indicate more training needed, but fun nevertheless.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.