Events 20 Years?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Rabbit
    Participant

It must be 20 years since the Flylife forum Kicked off?! Who was here?

2 major changes and its morphed into what we have here today.

Good job and thanks Flylife!

flylife

Was a hot bed of debate back then – even had feedback on the mag – but seems to be mainly classifieds these days. I still catch up with Ian Ainslie on a regular basis – I blame him for starting the forum.

micmac3701
    Participant

Just wondering/pondering on how many participants/voices there have been over that 20 years…

Warnesy
    Participant

Wasn’t there quite at launch but was on version 1 of the forum. I’ll always be very grateful for the forum as it provided the gateway to Millbrook Weekends and Forum Gatherings.

I’m hoping for a new wave of debates and discussion, but I won’t hold my breath (now to go check out that Sage in the classifieds…)

flylife

Always been a lot more lookers than active posters.

chf
    Participant

Looked for  years before finally becoming a member and posting …might even one day attend an event ( just need more time & less comittments 🙃 )

Rabbit
    Participant

Yes there were a lot of fly swaps in the early days also. They seem  to have dropped off.

Where is DC when you need him?

babelfish
    Participant

Was a hot bed of debate back then – even had feedback on the mag – but seems to be mainly classifieds these days. I still catch up with Ian Ainslie on a regular basis – I blame him for starting the forum.

I guess hot bed is probably an under statement – at times it reached quite cataclysmic heights. Moderators had their work cut out in those days … and many members were sent to the sin bin for a few days while things cooled down .. was all part of the fun. Remember the long running climate change debate thread ? … I never quite worked out what Dale’s graphs meant but they looked impressive 🙂

It would be very hard to try and explain to anyone joining the forum in more recent times what it was like back in the first 10-15 years of the forum … was such a different place.

And what about the post count battles … seemed Chief would arc up every now and then with a multitude of posts if anyone came close to challenging the natural order of him being at the top 🙂

The fly swaps were regular and fun .. I still have flies from those fly swaps .

… but what stands out to me most in the memory from that first decade or so was the many friendships that were formed – for me personally, people I met via the forum that I still catch up with for a fish that I would not have met otherwise.

So about 5 years or more ago it all kinda moved to the social media platforms – and it’s just not the same, it’s all just fleeting moments on FB, etc … no real forming of true friendships .. but … things change.

Rabbit
    Participant

Well said Tony.

kcfly
    Participant

How true time to wake up

dynaflow
    Participant

Good to see you still around Ken Culgin….

kcfly
    Participant

Good to see you still around Ken Culgin….

Have a few designs that have gone north

The new bass fly is a ripper

kc

micmac3701
    Participant

Would a searchable archive ever be a possibility?

Probably only certain sections, Travel, Tactics, Species, Fly Tying and maybe Conserve & Manage.

20 years represents a lot of thoughts, ideas (good and crack-pot) and maybe some craft knowledge.

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

The forum has gone through several different software versions (not just upgrades) and previous database archives (including membership files on at least one occasion) were lost when the changes occurred. There was also a period when threads over a certain age were culled by moderators to limit the amount of data being stored; errors in data retrieval (cross-linked threads etc) started to occur whenever the database became too big.

micmac3701
    Participant

A shame, but not surprising. Guess it never occured to anyone when setting it up that it would still be ticking along 20 years later.

Maybe its a project for now to build what might be needed 10-20 years hence…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.