Events 20 Years

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

flylife

I was going to head this topic ‘FlyLife #80’ but that really would cause total confusion as I have only just finished FlyLife #79 and you won’t see that until later this month. :?
    What I’m hoping to do is to stimulate some interesting feedback in the form of comments (Forum), letters (Backcasts) or short stories (Short Casts) that might suit our 20-year theme. For those still confused, 20 X 4 = 80. And my deadline for FL#80 is April (though you won’t see that until May/June). :?
    I’m thinking of where your fly-fishing was at, 20 years ago, how things have changed, and how FlyLife might have played a role (no divorce stories thanks). The good, the bad, and the not too crazy.

I’ll start by saying that 20 years ago I was at home in Richmond learning to drive a Mac called George, with a 12-inch screen, working on the first edition of FlyLife and trying to get my head around a design program called QuarkXPress. :ugeek:

flylife

Did I mention that I’d quit my job, sent the wife out teaching to pay the bills, had three teenage boys kicking about the place, and had some crazy idea that Australia and New Zealand needed a decent fly-only magazine? :rolleyes:

[email protected]
    Participant
    quote flylife:

Did I mention that I’d quit my job, sent the wife out teaching to pay the bills, had three teenage boys kicking about the place, and had some crazy idea that Australia and New Zealand needed a decent fly-only magazine? :rolleyes:

Well, thank god for nut cases and visionaries like you.. 8-)

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I jumped in at #37 and since then I’ve been a bit of a jerk. 😐

babelfish
    Participant
    quote flylife:

… and I suppose certain types told you to get a hair cut and get a real job ?

jazzatomo
    Participant
    quote babelfish:

quote flylife:

And aren’t we glad he didn’t take their advice.

Congrats mate on such an achievement, 20 years is a huge amount of time.

meteballs
    Participant

I can remember buying the first edition. What a revelation! An all-flyfishing mag that wasn’t from the states or UK and focused on places I’d been to and knew of. I started flyfishing almost 10 years earlier being introduced to the sport by Ron Vise up in Towong on the Upper Murray as a 13 year old. That was it. From then on I had lessons with Evan Matthews on the Ovens in Bright with my Diawa phantom rod and craved any information I could get my hands on. I bought Freshwater Fishing magazine and honed straight in on the flyfishing articles as well as the odd flyfishing magazine from OS and home; such as Modern Fishing Publications ‘Fly Fishing’ mag. However, none of them were of the class of Flylife and I can remember a real buzz about the magazine, especially the NZ articles and pics; which you didn’t see much of as the Internet was in its infancy and flyfishing websites were virtually non existent. Flylife prompted my obsession with NZ and by Flylife’s third year I had begun my annual visits to flyfishing nirvana. Twenty years later with a wife and two kids I still wait impatiently for the latest edition and require more and more space in the library to fit them; sitting proudly at eye level dead-centre. I still have my annual 3 weeks on the South Island (I’m also a teacher, so get plenty of opportunities thankfully) and before each trip look through my homemade paginated catalogue of every NZ article and title from all editions to help inspire and inform. It’s been great to grow along side the magazine – a year shy of half my life. They’ve been moved from home to flats to girlfriend’s houses; stomped on by babies; trodden on by dogs; and looked upon quizzically by the mother-in-law. Congrats on an awesome achievement and well done to you all.

Cheers,

Jude

Anonymous
    quote babelfish:

quote flylife:

And didn’t we all have more hair back then? :lol:

JC2
    Participant

Twenty years ago I was coming to terms with nappies and a screaming baby,my eldest daughter was one year old… two more since then and all girls.

Yes, I had more hair then and a I could see my shoes when I looked down. How things have changed. I started fly fishing around then after a trip to NZ with the family. It has been an adventure and lots of new friendships and travel to beautiful places to fish and for me, to paint.

I can’t remember when I bought my first FlyLife magazine, I am not good at keeping them all together and in one place but it was a long time ago. Still look forward to receiving them in the mail and enjoying the articles and the photography. Contact thru the Forum has been an excellent avenue for discussion on all things fly fishing and attending the Forum Gatherings has been the highlight of the past six years … look forward to it every year to catch up with everyone and meet new people and to explore and fish new streams or old familiar ones.

Thanks Rob for your vision and hard work and to the FlyLife team, it has been a real pleasure and long may it continue.

flylife

:oops:
    Thanks for the quick responses. It’s an early call but Jude might already have his name on that bottle of Lark. :o
    8-) 8-)

Daniel
    Participant

DA had hair, Rob had hair, Trouty didn’t shave and neither did I. There’s only two differences between then and now. 😀

Rabbit
    Participant

I had been flyfishing for several years and started with flylife #1 from my local news agent Ive still got the whole set in covers. and a second set as well.I was there when the forum kicked off circa 2000 ish?(Ieven have a "flylife forum wanker" sticker!) A river somewhere was attracting people into the game.Im sure a lot of current re aders/forumites started about then. I was still using a glass rod #7. Thanks for the 20 years of entertainment. s:up

GR
    Participant

Well done on your achievement. I take my hat off to the people who take a chance and set up new ventures. I took up fly fishing in 2006. I started buying FlyLife from that time and have since acquired back copies to complete the set. Probably not much has changed in fly fishing over that relatively short period. Although the opportunities to fish in more exotic locations world wide has opened up. Plenty on my wish list :whatever The FlyLife Forum has provided me with an opportunity to meet and fish with numerous people and in places I would probably not have got to. It has been a fantastic journey so far s:up

KO
    Participant

My fly fishing exploits go back to nov 1994 when I received a fly rod and reel for my 30th birthday. As a beginner i avidly devoured magazines and books, but the newsagent only had UK and U.S. Mags. But they talked of very different fishing to ours.

But to my great surprise , and just in time for the start of my ff journey fly life turned up on the shelves of the local newsagent.

The Stars clearly were aligned for me as I was offered a job in Nz and a chance to see some of this spectacular fishing first hand.

Thanks to your mag I got a great leg up in this fly fishing malarkey.

flylife
    quote Daniel:

DA had hair, Rob had hair, Trouty didn’t shave and neither did I. There’s only two differences between then and now. 😀

True, although Trouty (French) was born with a hairy face, and a rug on his back. :rofl
    Also true that my mother in particular has always ‘assumed’ I would go back to a real job. :rolleyes:
    And as for Chris Beech, he surely deserves special praise for being in every edition of FL since Day 1. I know how hard it can be to write an editorial every 3 months and there can’t be many locally popular saltwater fly patterns that he hasn’t covered. I photographed the flies for Chris’s column in the early days. I had no idea what the difference between a Deceiver and a Clouser was, and always had to phone and ask which way up the flies should sit. I got to catch a hell of a lot of good fish on his flies though. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.